Can 206 Mhz StrongARM handle Remote Desktop? - Windows CE

This is a discussion on Can 206 Mhz StrongARM handle Remote Desktop? - Windows CE ; Hi All, I am contemplating purchasing a Viewsonic Viewpad 100 for reading eBooks and web surfing. The Viewpad 100 only has a StongARM 206 Mhz processor and I am wondering if it is powerful enough to handle a remote desktop ...

  1. Can 206 Mhz StrongARM handle Remote Desktop?

    Hi All,

    I am contemplating purchasing a Viewsonic Viewpad 100 for reading
    eBooks and web surfing. The Viewpad 100 only has a StongARM 206 Mhz
    processor and I am wondering if it is powerful enough to handle a
    remote desktop session to my desktop via a wireless connection.
    Basically I know that Pocket Internet Explorer is very limited and
    would like to be able to use my desktop browser (Firefox) from the
    Viewpad 100 via a remote desktop (or VNC as I know there are VNC
    clients for the Pocket PC) connection. I don't expect to watch a movie
    over the remote desktop (or VNC) connection rather just web surfing.
    Thanks for any input.

    - DWek

  2. Re: Can 206 Mhz StrongARM handle Remote Desktop?

    Its fast enough to use TSC and XP Pro Remote Desktop. VNC clients, at least the ones I have tried,
    are pretty slow...

    If you do use the built-in TSC with Remote Desktop you can also speed things up by not rendering the
    PCs desktop wallpaper. See this page, near the end, for help doing that...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...eshooting.html

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "dwok" wrote in message
    news:1108909216.425231.63620@f14g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am contemplating purchasing a Viewsonic Viewpad 100 for reading
    > eBooks and web surfing. The Viewpad 100 only has a StongARM 206 Mhz
    > processor and I am wondering if it is powerful enough to handle a
    > remote desktop session to my desktop via a wireless connection.
    > Basically I know that Pocket Internet Explorer is very limited and
    > would like to be able to use my desktop browser (Firefox) from the
    > Viewpad 100 via a remote desktop (or VNC as I know there are VNC
    > clients for the Pocket PC) connection. I don't expect to watch a movie
    > over the remote desktop (or VNC) connection rather just web surfing.
    > Thanks for any input.
    >
    > - DWek

  3. Re: Can 206 Mhz StrongARM handle Remote Desktop?

    "dwok" skrev i melding
    news:1108909216.425231.63620@f14g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am contemplating purchasing a Viewsonic Viewpad 100 for reading
    > eBooks and web surfing. The Viewpad 100 only has a StongARM 206 Mhz
    > processor and I am wondering if it is powerful enough to handle a
    > remote desktop session to my desktop via a wireless connection.
    > Basically I know that Pocket Internet Explorer is very limited and
    > would like to be able to use my desktop browser (Firefox) from the
    > Viewpad 100 via a remote desktop (or VNC as I know there are VNC
    > clients for the Pocket PC) connection. I don't expect to watch a movie
    > over the remote desktop (or VNC) connection rather just web surfing.
    > Thanks for any input.

    It will do, but has it vga resolution? its big differens to use a PDA with
    vga resolutions when using remote desktop.

    /Per W.

  4. Re: Can 206 Mhz StrongARM handle Remote Desktop?

    "dwok" wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    > I am contemplating purchasing a Viewsonic Viewpad 100 for reading
    >eBooks and web surfing. The Viewpad 100 only has a StongARM 206 Mhz
    >processor and I am wondering if it is powerful enough to handle a
    >remote desktop session to my desktop via a wireless connection.
    >Basically I know that Pocket Internet Explorer is very limited and
    >would like to be able to use my desktop browser (Firefox) from the
    >Viewpad 100 via a remote desktop (or VNC as I know there are VNC
    >clients for the Pocket PC) connection. I don't expect to watch a movie
    >over the remote desktop (or VNC) connection rather just web surfing.
    >Thanks for any input.
    >
    >- DWek

    Absolutely. RD requires very little resources on the client. There
    were terminal server clients on sub-100MHz handheld and palmsized PCs
    years ago.
    --
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________

  5. Re: Can 206 Mhz StrongARM handle Remote Desktop?

    Excellent! That is good to know. I have had the oppourtunity to hold a
    Viewpad 100 in the past and I have to say it was VERY durable. It felt
    well put together and solid. Let me ask one other question. There are
    two types of "viewpads" one is the Viewpad 100 which as mentioned runs
    Win CE 3.0. The other is the Airpanel 100 which runs CE.Net. They both
    have the same hardware and memory. Is there any advantage of going with
    the "Airpanel" becuase of CE.Net? It does cost more though, by like
    $100. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread