What happens when debugging on CE - Windows CE

This is a discussion on What happens when debugging on CE - Windows CE ; This is a rather interesting question. If I create a CE program, ftp it and its runtime files to my CE device, and run the program from telnet, it works fine. If I use the debugger in visual studio, it ...

  1. What happens when debugging on CE

    This is a rather interesting question. If I create a CE program, ftp
    it and its runtime files to my CE device, and run the program from
    telnet, it works fine.

    If I use the debugger in visual studio, it copies over a whole bunch of
    files and I can debug from VS.

    Now if I turn off the CE device, and turn it back on (This in essence
    will recopy the OS from flash to the run time memory), I can no longer
    run any ce apps from telnet like I mentioned in the first section. Of
    note, While the OS files are deleted during shutdown, the registry is
    not. The registry is saved between each reboot. Well, obviously there
    is something in the registry that is no longer part of the OS at
    reboot. I have looked into the registry and can not find anything
    except the ENU-String Resource entries. I can not seem to find
    anything else that can cause this problem. If I run the VS debugger
    again, it will copy over all the needed files again and programs run
    from telnet will work once again.

    Any suggestions??
    Tom

  2. Re: What happens when debugging on CE

    I answered the other copy of your question. Please don't post the same
    question twice, unless you first wait for responses and then are
    pretty sure you can clarify.

    On 3 Feb 2005 06:01:40 -0800, "Tom" wrote:

    >This is a rather interesting question. If I create a CE program, ftp
    >it and its runtime files to my CE device, and run the program from
    >telnet, it works fine.
    >
    >If I use the debugger in visual studio, it copies over a whole bunch of
    >files and I can debug from VS.
    >
    >Now if I turn off the CE device, and turn it back on (This in essence
    >will recopy the OS from flash to the run time memory), I can no longer
    >run any ce apps from telnet like I mentioned in the first section. Of
    >note, While the OS files are deleted during shutdown, the registry is
    >not. The registry is saved between each reboot. Well, obviously there
    >is something in the registry that is no longer part of the OS at
    >reboot. I have looked into the registry and can not find anything
    >except the ENU-String Resource entries. I can not seem to find
    >anything else that can cause this problem. If I run the VS debugger
    >again, it will copy over all the needed files again and programs run
    >from telnet will work once again.
    >
    >Any suggestions??
    >Tom

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    Boston, MA 02118
    www.penfact.com

  3. Re: What happens when debugging on CE

    Please frogive me for posting twice. When posting through Google,
    sometimes the submiting will only return a blank screen. Thus it does
    not seem like the post went through.

    Tom

  4. Re: What happens when debugging on CE

    What I did in a similar situation was to boot the device, use the
    remote registry editor to save the text representation of the registry.
    Then download the program, use the remote registry editor to again save
    the text representation of the registry. I was then able to copy the
    registry files to a Unix machine where I used the diff command to find
    where the two were different. This wound up saving me a LOT of
    debugging time. Pity the feature's not supported on Windows. If you
    don't have a Unix machine handy, there are tonnes of ascii diff
    solutions for WIndows. I couldn't get WinDiff to work for me, for this
    applcation, but an office mate got cygwin diff to work perfectly.

+ Reply to Thread