trouble with debugging and CE registry - Windows CE

This is a discussion on trouble with debugging and CE registry - Windows CE ; This is a rather interesting question. If I create a CE program, ftp it and its runtime files to my CE device, and run the program from telnet, it works fine. If I use the debugger in visual studio, it ...

  1. trouble with debugging and CE registry

    This is a rather interesting question. If I create a CE program, ftp
    it and its runtime files to my CE device, and run the program from
    telnet, it works fine.

    If I use the debugger in visual studio, it copies over a whole bunch of
    files and I can debug from VS.

    Now if I turn off the CE device, and turn it back on (This in essence
    will recopy the OS from flash to the run time memory), I can no longer
    run any ce apps from telnet like I mentioned in the first section. Of
    note, While the OS files are deleted during shutdown, the registry is
    not. The registry is saved between each reboot. Well, obviously there
    is something in the registry that is no longer part of the OS at
    reboot. I have looked into the registry and can not find anything
    except the ENU-String Resource entries. I can not seem to find
    anything else that can cause this problem. If I run the VS debugger
    again, it will copy over all the needed files again and programs run
    from telnet will work once again.

    Any suggestions??
    Tom

  2. Re: trouble with debugging and CE registry

    I gather you are dealing with a custom device, and the problems you
    are having are related to the way you build that device. So I suggest
    finding one of the newsgroups dedicated to folks who use platform
    builder.

    On 3 Feb 2005 06:00:00 -0800, "Tom" wrote:

    >This is a rather interesting question. If I create a CE program, ftp
    >it and its runtime files to my CE device, and run the program from
    >telnet, it works fine.
    >
    >If I use the debugger in visual studio, it copies over a whole bunch of
    >files and I can debug from VS.
    >
    >Now if I turn off the CE device, and turn it back on (This in essence
    >will recopy the OS from flash to the run time memory), I can no longer
    >run any ce apps from telnet like I mentioned in the first section. Of
    >note, While the OS files are deleted during shutdown, the registry is
    >not. The registry is saved between each reboot. Well, obviously there
    >is something in the registry that is no longer part of the OS at
    >reboot. I have looked into the registry and can not find anything
    >except the ENU-String Resource entries. I can not seem to find
    >anything else that can cause this problem. If I run the VS debugger
    >again, it will copy over all the needed files again and programs run
    >from telnet will work once again.
    >
    >Any suggestions??
    >Tom

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP