boot time windows ce - Windows CE

This is a discussion on boot time windows ce - Windows CE ; Hi, for a new project we want to use windows ce as embedded OS. But the problem is that the equipment must be functional as soon as possible. Now I have heared from someone that it can take up to ...

  1. boot time windows ce

    Hi,

    for a new project we want to use windows ce as embedded OS.
    But the problem is that the equipment must be functional as soon as
    possible.
    Now I have heared from someone that it can take up to 20/30 seconds before
    it is completely functional, which is a big problem for us.

    Can people give their experience with this boot time or startup time.And if
    this time can be shortened, how can I do this, does this need certain
    requirements in the hardware?

    Regards,

    Robert

  2. Re: boot time windows ce

    Hi Robert,

    We're using Windows-CE 4.2 at work, and we've been pretty underwhelmed
    by the boot experience. Our system takes about 45 seconds to boot, but
    we chose some options that slowed things down, so we can't complain too
    much.

    First off.. are you using a standard platform? We wound up moving to a
    Via EPIA PC motherboard running a CEPC Board Support Package, so the
    first time hit we take comes from the PC BIOS. Epia's BIOS isn't the
    slowest I've seen, but it's not exactly speedy. It does, however, allow
    us to switch back and forth between CE, Linux, and WinXP when we're
    debugging hardware problems, so this is a big help for us. At least 20
    seconds of our boot time is attributable to the PC Bios booting.

    Secondly, we're loading our 22 Mb OS image from a hard disk. I suspect
    that a flash device would be faster, also, you could pare down the
    image to something smaller if you were making a headless device. I
    would say that about 17 seconds of our boot comes from having to load a
    22 Mb file via the CEPC boot-loader.

    That leaves about 8 seconds to WinCE for it's boot, which is pretty
    consistent with some of the other numbers I've heard.

    So.. if you had a device with it's own firmware and not a slow PC BIOS,
    you could probably get through the BIOS in less than 5 seconds. If you
    loaded a 10 Mb image from flash, I'm guessing it shouldn't take more
    than 7 seconds. Add that to the 8 seconds for WinCE booting and yeah,
    it looks like we're at 20 seconds.

    WinCE supports the concept of power management, so if you have the
    option of putting your hardware to sleep rather than turning it off,
    you can get 3-5 second wake from sleep times (and I've heard of 1/2
    second times for for devices that were optimized for this behavior.
    Don't know if that's marketing hype or not, but iPaqs seem to wake
    pretty quickly, so I'm not terribly doubtful.)

    There are a couple other concerns you might want to address when
    dealing with WinCE, however. The tool chain is... what's the most
    polite way to put it... primitive. Platform Builder has a beautiful
    GUI, but if you're going to have multiple developers working on the OS
    image, you're likely to run into problems quickly. There's no
    integration with a version control system (though I haven't looked at
    5.0,) and we are in the process of ditching the GUI so we can actually
    build from source, rather than source + a bunch of binary files that
    don't play well with our version control system. ARM has a tool that
    allows developers to share projects in the GUI, but it's fairly
    expensive.

    And then there's the problem with the documentation. It's more or less
    spotty, and often wrong.

    But I'm not trying to come off as a an OS bigot, so let me say that
    there are some nice things about WinCE. $3 / unit is a great price
    point, and this includes some basic media support. Problems that we had
    with the GUI freezing seem to have been fixed with the latest QFEs. The
    third-party support options are approaching "vibrant." Debugging is
    surprisingly well supported (and this comes from someone who's a GDB
    bigot.)

    All in all, though, it seems that fast boot was not something they were
    optimizing for when they put WinCE together. Sounds like you might be
    interested in an RTOS rather than a CE embedded OS.

    Robert Pot wrote:

    > for a new project we want to use windows ce as embedded OS.
    > But the problem is that the equipment must be functional as soon as
    > possible.
    > Now I have heared from someone that it can take up to 20/30 seconds

    before
    > it is completely functional, which is a big problem for us.
    >
    > Can people give their experience with this boot time or startup

    time.And if
    > this time can be shortened, how can I do this, does this need certain
    > requirements in the hardware?

+ Reply to Thread