Calculator - Windows CE

This is a discussion on Calculator - Windows CE ; Hi all. I am running Windows CE.Net on a HP thin client. I just realised that this version of Windows does not come with a calculator. Any ideas where I can get one from for free? It just needs to ...

  1. Calculator

    Hi all. I am running Windows CE.Net on a HP thin client. I just
    realised
    that this version of Windows does not come with a calculator. Any
    ideas
    where I can get one from for free? It just needs to be the same as the
    windows calculator (calc.exe)

    Thanks

  2. Re: Calculator

    http://www.calculator.org/ have a pay version (5.6) and a free download of
    5.3. I've not tried it on CE4, but it may well do what you need.

    Let us know how you get on in your quest.

    --
    Chris Tilley
    Editor-in-Chief

    wrote in message
    news:1100781068.055903.276600@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi all. I am running Windows CE.Net on a HP thin client. I just
    > realised
    > that this version of Windows does not come with a calculator. Any
    > ideas
    > where I can get one from for free? It just needs to be the same as the
    > windows calculator (calc.exe)
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: Calculator

    I sent this mail to calculator.org and this is the reply. I will post
    the next update when I have some more news.

    The generally available versions of Calc use a number of features of
    the Pocket PC platform. Pocket PC is built on Windows CE but has
    additional features and libraries. Machines which are running Windows
    CE.Net do not normally have these libraries and so the Pocket PC
    version of Calc is unable to run.

    We have a number of versions of Calc which run on an earlier version of
    Windows CE and which do not require Pocket PC support and we have had
    reports that these versions do run on CE.Net devices but it is
    dependent on the specific device and which OS components are installed.

    If you would like to try installing I could send you a copy to see if
    it works on your devices. I will also need to know what processor your
    devices use - I presume it is ARM compatible - or tell me the device
    model number. If it is ARM-based then I am afraid there isn't a free
    version available that supports non-Pocket PC ARM devices.

    The next version of the software will probably use .Net and so will run
    on CE.Net devices without problem.

  4. Re: Calculator

    Oh, that's a shame on the Arm version. I'm presuming that you're on XScale.
    They are correct on the PPC libraries, your best bet would be to try the
    HPC2000 build on the device.

    I'm glad that they got back to you so quickly and seem genuinly interested
    to help.
    If you're willing to do some testing, perhaps they'll compile you a version
    to beta test.

    There are a couple of other HPC calc's MBA-Calc and BizCalc for example,,
    however they are buisness calculators and equally not free.

    Good luck

    Chris Tilley
    Editor-in-Chief
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

    wrote in message
    news:1100851739.492180.271250@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    >I sent this mail to calculator.org and this is the reply. I will post
    > the next update when I have some more news.
    >
    > The generally available versions of Calc use a number of features of
    > the Pocket PC platform. Pocket PC is built on Windows CE but has
    > additional features and libraries. Machines which are running Windows
    > CE.Net do not normally have these libraries and so the Pocket PC
    > version of Calc is unable to run.
    >
    > We have a number of versions of Calc which run on an earlier version of
    > Windows CE and which do not require Pocket PC support and we have had
    > reports that these versions do run on CE.Net devices but it is
    > dependent on the specific device and which OS components are installed.
    >
    > If you would like to try installing I could send you a copy to see if
    > it works on your devices. I will also need to know what processor your
    > devices use - I presume it is ARM compatible - or tell me the device
    > model number. If it is ARM-based then I am afraid there isn't a free
    > version available that supports non-Pocket PC ARM devices.
    >
    > The next version of the software will probably use .Net and so will run
    > on CE.Net devices without problem.

  5. Re: Calculator

    > Hi all. I am running Windows CE.Net on a HP thin client. I just
    > realised
    > that this version of Windows does not come with a calculator. Any
    > ideas
    > where I can get one from for free? It just needs to be the same as the
    > windows calculator (calc.exe)

    http://www2r.biglobe.ne.jp/%7Etascal/download/hpc/
    look for tascal calc

    greetz
    k2

  6. Re: Calculator

    Here is the end of the road for this line of thinking. The final reply
    regarding calculator.org.

    ----------

    I think the simplest solution would be to install Calc on your Windows
    server, rather than try to install it on each device, if that is
    feasible. That would work well if the devices are acting as terminal
    server clients.

    I believe the Crusoe processor is emulating the Intel Pentium CPU
    architecture - it is difficult to tell from the HP documention. In this
    case I am afraid we don't have a version available. It is likely that
    the next release of the software will be able to support all the CE.Net
    devices, which should be towards the middle of next year.

    ------

    Next stop, Tascal Calc. The problem I am having with this one at the
    moment is that I do not know how to install it. It comes with a setup
    routine but that is only for installing via the sync method of a PDA.
    Any other suggestions on how to get the files onto my thin client?

+ Reply to Thread