pda that can run netbsd and windows ce? - Windows CE

This is a discussion on pda that can run netbsd and windows ce? - Windows CE ; Hi!, i am looking for a pda that can allow me to run both NetBSD and WinCE (for which i want to do development with embedded visual c++ 4.0). i want to ply with both these operating systems on this ...

  1. pda that can run netbsd and windows ce?

    Hi!,

    i am looking for a pda that can allow me to run both NetBSD and WinCE
    (for which i want to do development with embedded visual c++ 4.0). i
    want to ply with both these operating systems on this pda. does anyone
    have an experience with such a device?

    thanks,
    Craig

  2. Re: pda that can run netbsd and windows ce?

    I've no experience with running BSD on them, but your best bet would be a
    device like the NEC MobilePro 900C, Psion Netbook or the Coxion Webbook, and
    forget about the Pocket PC 2003.
    I'm assuming though that there is a NetBSD redist for XScale / StrongArm
    SA1100 under CE 4.x?

    --
    Chris Tilley
    Editor-in-Chief

    "C++ Shark" wrote in message
    news:7457019c.0406161104.3a932443@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi!,
    >
    > i am looking for a pda that can allow me to run both NetBSD and WinCE
    > (for which i want to do development with embedded visual c++ 4.0). i
    > want to ply with both these operating systems on this pda. does anyone
    > have an experience with such a device?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Craig

  3. Re: pda that can run netbsd and windows ce?

    Chris Tilley - HPC:Factor wrote:
    > I've no experience with running BSD on them, but your best bet would be a
    > device like the NEC MobilePro 900C, Psion Netbook or the Coxion Webbook, and
    > forget about the Pocket PC 2003.
    > I'm assuming though that there is a NetBSD redist for XScale / StrongArm
    > SA1100 under CE 4.x?

    I have installed NetBSD 1.6. on a NEC MobilePRO 780 which has
    a MIPS processor. The 2 key links to get started are the main page,
    http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/hpcmips/ with basic info about supported
    units, and a link on it to the heart of the matter,
    http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/hpcmips/howto-use.html

    Beware that both pages have links that are outright broken, irrelevant
    (or somewhat so with material that is either very generic NetBSD, or
    preponderantly x86 PC-oriented), or non-English.

    Also, the howto-use.html link, while essential as a starting point, has
    outdated docs, in particular, building your installation on a CF card
    with all the packages (X windows and all) is nearly impossible with even
    a 256MB card. I kept running out of room due, I believe, to the need
    for work space to expand the gzipped installation package files. I
    finally figured out that installing one package file at a time would do
    the trick. When you are done, though, there are hardly more than a few
    dozen MB to use for /tmp, or other file growth.

    It was kind of fun to try out the command line stuff, and X windows on
    that big, grainy 8-inch screen, but without enough space to add files to
    make it more full-featured, and no support for my particular wifi card
    (Prism2-based Netgear ma-701), I lost interest. I have been thinking
    though of giving it another go by getting a 512MB card, now that they
    are dropping under 100 USD with sales/rebates, and a supported PCMCIA
    wifi card (think it has to be Orinoco/Wavelan?) - could be fun...

    I missed the beginning of this thread since I just subscribed to this
    group, and it seems my News server (NC RoadRunner) has pruned the
    beginning, so maybe my rambling is irrelevant, but HTH.
    Rory O'Connor -
    r o o c o n n
    n c
    r r
    c o m
    ( p u t 'em together with @ and dots for my email@ddress)

  4. Re: pda that can run netbsd and windows ce?

    ROC wrote:

    > Chris Tilley - HPC:Factor wrote:
    >
    >> I've no experience with running BSD on them, but your best bet would
    >> be a device like the NEC MobilePro 900C, Psion Netbook or the Coxion
    >> Webbook, and forget about the Pocket PC 2003.
    >> I'm assuming though that there is a NetBSD redist for XScale /
    >> StrongArm SA1100 under CE 4.x?
    >>

    > I have installed NetBSD 1.6. on a NEC MobilePRO 780 which has
    > a MIPS processor. The 2 key links to get started are the main page,
    > http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/hpcmips/ with basic info about supported
    > units, and a link on it to the heart of the matter,
    > http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/hpcmips/howto-use.html
    >
    > Beware that both pages have links that are outright broken, irrelevant
    > (or somewhat so with material that is either very generic NetBSD, or
    > preponderantly x86 PC-oriented), or non-English.
    >
    > Also, the howto-use.html link, while essential as a starting point, has
    > outdated docs, in particular, building your installation on a CF card
    > with all the packages (X windows and all) is nearly impossible with even
    > a 256MB card. I kept running out of room due, I believe, to the need
    > for work space to expand the gzipped installation package files. I
    > finally figured out that installing one package file at a time would do
    > the trick. When you are done, though, there are hardly more than a few
    > dozen MB to use for /tmp, or other file growth.
    >
    > It was kind of fun to try out the command line stuff, and X windows on
    > that big, grainy 8-inch screen, but without enough space to add files to
    > make it more full-featured, and no support for my particular wifi card
    > (Prism2-based Netgear ma-701), I lost interest. I have been thinking
    > though of giving it another go by getting a 512MB card, now that they
    > are dropping under 100 USD with sales/rebates, and a supported PCMCIA
    > wifi card (think it has to be Orinoco/Wavelan?) - could be fun...
    >
    > I missed the beginning of this thread since I just subscribed to this
    > group, and it seems my News server (NC RoadRunner) has pruned the
    > beginning, so maybe my rambling is irrelevant, but HTH.

    Following up (now that I'm intrigued again ;-), I found that there is
    another outdated link - the one for the install sets. When I saw the
    top-level page referring to 1.6.2 while the install set link had 1.6.1 I
    had a hunch that at least the naming convention is consistent, and lo
    and behold, the latest sets are at:
    ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.2/hpcmips/

    go for it ;-}

    Rory O'Connor -
    r o o c o n n
    n c
    r r
    c o m
    ( p u t 'em together with @ and dots for my email@ddress)

  5. Re: pda that can run netbsd and windows ce?

    http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/hpcarm/

    C++ Shark wrote:
    > Hi!,
    >
    > i am looking for a pda that can allow me to run both NetBSD and WinCE
    > (for which i want to do development with embedded visual c++ 4.0). i
    > want to ply with both these operating systems on this pda. does anyone
    > have an experience with such a device?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Craig

+ Reply to Thread