Windows CE on a PC - Windows CE

This is a discussion on Windows CE on a PC - Windows CE ; Is it possible to run WIN CE on a PC as the native OS (ie w/o an emulator etc...). What are the (dis)advanteges compared to a full OS such as Win XP, Linux etc... Thanks in advance for your help. ...

  1. Windows CE on a PC

    Is it possible to run WIN CE on a PC as the native OS (ie w/o an
    emulator etc...). What are the (dis)advanteges compared to a full OS
    such as Win XP, Linux etc...

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    John

  2. Re: Windows CE on a PC

    I do not think so. I do not know why you would desire to run your PC with
    CE.

    John

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2004, John wrote:

    > Date: 24 Apr 2004 19:48:02 -0700
    > From: John
    > Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.ce
    > Subject: Windows CE on a PC
    >
    > Is it possible to run WIN CE on a PC as the native OS (ie w/o an
    > emulator etc...). What are the (dis)advanteges compared to a full OS
    > such as Win XP, Linux etc...
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    >
    > John

    Matthew 7:12 Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to
    them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

    Luke 9:23 Then he said to them all: If anyone would come after me, he
    must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

  3. Re: Windows CE on a PC

    On 24 Apr 2004 19:48:02 -0700, john@frontlogic.com (John) wrote:

    >Is it possible to run WIN CE on a PC as the native OS (ie w/o an
    >emulator etc...).

    Not with any retail version of Windows CE. Microsoft does have a tool
    (Platform Builder) for building custom versions of Windows CE, and
    folks do use it to build versions that run on x86 CPUs for embedded
    systems. I think a free trial of Platform Builder is available, but
    not easily. And I think the full cost is several thousand dollars.

    > What are the (dis)advanteges compared to a full OS
    >such as Win XP, Linux etc...

    Quick startup. Runs well even on slow CPUs with little RAM and/or disk
    space.

    >Thanks in advance for your help.
    >
    >John

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP