starting - Windows CE

This is a discussion on starting - Windows CE ; Hi, I'm starting in this subject, in the use of Windows-CE embedded. I would like to boot some PC's (without HD) from netwok (bootp) with windows-CE and use it as thin-clients with an 2003 server. Anyone try it? ideas? tutorials? ...

  1. starting

    Hi,

    I'm starting in this subject, in the use of Windows-CE embedded.

    I would like to boot some PC's (without HD) from netwok (bootp) with
    windows-CE and use it as thin-clients with an 2003 server.

    Anyone try it? ideas? tutorials? WEB's pages? Please, anyone can help me?

    Thanks

    Daniel.
    dbassas@udg.es
    Universitat de Girona

  2. Re: starting

    I'm not quite sure what you want to do.

    If you're trying to set up some thin clients by running Windows CE on
    left-over PCs, then you need to know that Windows CE is not available
    as a retail product. You _could_ create your own version of Windows
    CE, and use that on the left-overs, but that would require buying
    Platform Builder, which costs > $5K US.

    If you want to buy and use Windows CE devices as thin clients, then
    I'm pretty sure recent versions of Windows CE (> 2.0x) come with
    client software.

    For more info, Chris De Herrera's site is usually a good first stop:
    http://www.cewindows.net/

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:40:02 +0100, "news.cesca.es"
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm starting in this subject, in the use of Windows-CE embedded.
    >
    >I would like to boot some PC's (without HD) from netwok (bootp) with
    >windows-CE and use it as thin-clients with an 2003 server.
    >
    >Anyone try it? ideas? tutorials? WEB's pages? Please, anyone can help me?
    >
    >Thanks
    >

    >Daniel.
    >dbassas@udg.es
    >Universitat de Girona

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    Boston, MA 02118
    www.penfact.com

  3. Re: starting

    Thanks to answer.

    I have the platform builder, and I can build my CE only with a RPD client.

    But, i would like to use it in a Celeron PC without hard disk, low memory,
    and booting from network.

    Any idea?

    escribió en el mensaje
    > I'm not quite sure what you want to do.
    >
    > If you're trying to set up some thin clients by running Windows CE on
    > left-over PCs, then you need to know that Windows CE is not available
    > as a retail product. You _could_ create your own version of Windows
    > CE, and use that on the left-overs, but that would require buying
    > Platform Builder, which costs > $5K US.
    >
    > If you want to buy and use Windows CE devices as thin clients, then
    > I'm pretty sure recent versions of Windows CE (> 2.0x) come with
    > client software.
    >
    > For more info, Chris De Herrera's site is usually a good first stop:
    > http://www.cewindows.net/
    >
    > On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:40:02 +0100, "news.cesca.es"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I'm starting in this subject, in the use of Windows-CE embedded.
    > >
    > >I would like to boot some PC's (without HD) from netwok (bootp) with
    > >windows-CE and use it as thin-clients with an 2003 server.
    > >
    > >Anyone try it? ideas? tutorials? WEB's pages? Please, anyone can help me?
    > >
    > >Thanks
    > >

    > >Daniel.
    > >dbassas@udg.es
    > >Universitat de Girona

    > To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and

    please indicate which newsgroup and message).

    > Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    > PenFact, Inc.
    > 500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    > Boston, MA 02118
    > www.penfact.com

  4. Re: starting

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:17:36 +0100, "news.cesca.es"
    wrote:

    >Thanks to answer.
    >
    >I have the platform builder, and I can build my CE only with a RPD client.

    I think you will get better answers in one of the newsgroups that
    covers Platform Builder. I don't know their names offhand.

    >But, i would like to use it in a Celeron PC without hard disk, low memory,
    >and booting from network.
    >
    >Any idea?

    I don't use Platform Builder, so I think I've helped as much as I can.

    > escribió en el mensaje
    >> I'm not quite sure what you want to do.
    >>
    >> If you're trying to set up some thin clients by running Windows CE on
    >> left-over PCs, then you need to know that Windows CE is not available
    >> as a retail product. You _could_ create your own version of Windows
    >> CE, and use that on the left-overs, but that would require buying
    >> Platform Builder, which costs > $5K US.
    >>
    >> If you want to buy and use Windows CE devices as thin clients, then
    >> I'm pretty sure recent versions of Windows CE (> 2.0x) come with
    >> client software.
    >>
    >> For more info, Chris De Herrera's site is usually a good first stop:
    >> http://www.cewindows.net/
    >>
    >> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:40:02 +0100, "news.cesca.es"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi,
    >> >
    >> >I'm starting in this subject, in the use of Windows-CE embedded.
    >> >
    >> >I would like to boot some PC's (without HD) from netwok (bootp) with
    >> >windows-CE and use it as thin-clients with an 2003 server.
    >> >
    >> >Anyone try it? ideas? tutorials? WEB's pages? Please, anyone can help me?
    >> >
    >> >Thanks
    >> >

    >> >Daniel.
    >> >dbassas@udg.es
    >> >Universitat de Girona

    >> To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and

    >please indicate which newsgroup and message).
    >>
    >> Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    >> PenFact, Inc.
    >> 500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    >> Boston, MA 02118