Windows CE Device Driver - Windows CE

This is a discussion on Windows CE Device Driver - Windows CE ; I'm familiar with writing NT Device Driver and have some knowledge on writing a WDM for Windows 2000/XP. I've been task to determine what is needed to develop a Windows CE device driver for PC/104-plus. What would I need to ...

  1. Windows CE Device Driver

    I'm familiar with writing NT Device Driver and have some knowledge on
    writing a WDM for Windows 2000/XP.

    I've been task to determine what is needed to develop a Windows CE
    device driver for PC/104-plus.

    What would I need to get started (books,ddk) ?

    John

  2. Re: Windows CE Device Driver

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:23:11 -0800, John
    wrote:

    >I'm familiar with writing NT Device Driver and have some knowledge on
    >writing a WDM for Windows 2000/XP.
    >
    >I've been task to determine what is needed to develop a Windows CE
    >device driver for PC/104-plus.

    I don't really know the answer, but might have some useful leads.

    I _think_ you need to use Platform Builder, which is a rather
    expensive product from Microsoft primarily meant to build custom
    versions of the Windows CE operating system.

    Chris DeHerrera's web site is usually a great place for info about
    Windows CE. It includes a link specifically for developers, although I
    don't see anything clearly about device drivers:
    http://www.cewindows.net/developer/dev.htm

    Pocket PC Developers Network is another useful site, but I don't see
    anything specific:
    www.pocketpcdn.com

    The following is a good intro to tools available for application
    programming, but not device drivers:
    http://www.codeproject.com/ce/Pocket_PC_Development.asp

    Microsoft should be the first place to look, but I can't help you find
    the specific info you want. The following is about as close as I can
    get you:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/

    I just used google (http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search) to
    look up
    windows ce device driver
    and got 20,100 hits. Way too many to wade through. But the first few
    might give enough info to help you refine your search string.

    Good luck.

    >What would I need to get started (books,ddk) ?
    >
    >John

    Robert E. Zaret
    PenFact, Inc.
    500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    Boston, MA 02118
    www.penfact.com

  3. Re: Windows CE Device Driver

    You don't absolutely need to *buy* PB. What you need out of it is just the
    header files, so that some structures, function calls, etc. that would only
    be useful for device drivers will be available, which they are not in plain
    eVC. The help will probably be useful, also. There's also, supposedly, a
    version of PB targeted *specifically* at driver developers. You might scan
    the Microsoft Embedded Web site and see if you can find a download or order
    link.

    On the other end of things, your WDM knowledge isn't going to be needed.
    Windows CE device drivers are all just plain old user mode DLLs (with
    certain exceptions for displays and a couple of other I/O types). They have
    to export a certain set of functions, have some entries in the registry, and
    that's about it.

    You might post the question to the Platform Builder newsgroup for more
    comments:

    microsoft.public.windowsce.platbuilder

    Paul T.

    wrote in message
    > On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:23:11 -0800, John
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I'm familiar with writing NT Device Driver and have some knowledge on
    > >writing a WDM for Windows 2000/XP.
    > >
    > >I've been task to determine what is needed to develop a Windows CE
    > >device driver for PC/104-plus.

    > I don't really know the answer, but might have some useful leads.
    >
    > I _think_ you need to use Platform Builder, which is a rather
    > expensive product from Microsoft primarily meant to build custom
    > versions of the Windows CE operating system.
    >
    > Chris DeHerrera's web site is usually a great place for info about
    > Windows CE. It includes a link specifically for developers, although I
    > don't see anything clearly about device drivers:
    > http://www.cewindows.net/developer/dev.htm
    >
    > Pocket PC Developers Network is another useful site, but I don't see
    > anything specific:
    > www.pocketpcdn.com
    >
    > The following is a good intro to tools available for application
    > programming, but not device drivers:
    > http://www.codeproject.com/ce/Pocket_PC_Development.asp
    >
    > Microsoft should be the first place to look, but I can't help you find
    > the specific info you want. The following is about as close as I can
    > get you:
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/
    >
    > I just used google (http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search) to
    > look up
    > windows ce device driver
    > and got 20,100 hits. Way too many to wade through. But the first few
    > might give enough info to help you refine your search string.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >

    > >What would I need to get started (books,ddk) ?
    > >
    > >John

    > To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and

    please indicate which newsgroup and message).

    > Robert E. Zaret
    > PenFact, Inc.
    > 500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    > Boston, MA 02118
    > www.penfact.com

  4. Re: Windows CE Device Driver

    Actually ALL drivers are user mode DLLs even display drivers. (They do have
    a unique interface and load into a separate process from most other drivers
    but they are still just a regular old DLL.)

    --
    Steve Maillet (eMVP)
    Entelechy Consulting

+ Reply to Thread