Using standard (desktop PC) external modem in Pocket PC? - Windows CE

This is a discussion on Using standard (desktop PC) external modem in Pocket PC? - Windows CE ; Hi all, Does anyone know if it is possible to use a standard external modem (i.e. one designed for desktop PCs) with a Pocket PC? I mean, is it possible to connect it through the cradle and use it to ...

  1. Using standard (desktop PC) external modem in Pocket PC?

    Hi all,

    Does anyone know if it is possible to use a standard external modem
    (i.e. one designed for desktop PCs) with a Pocket PC? I mean, is it
    possible to connect it through the cradle and use it to connect to an
    ISP?

    I have a Cassiopeiia EM-500 with MMC card slot, so I cannot use most
    Pocket PC modems (which are designed as CF cards). The casio external
    modem is an option, but it is difficult to find in stores. Thatīs why
    Iīm so interested in finding an alternative...

    Cheers,
    Walter.

  2. Re: Using standard (desktop PC) external modem in Pocket PC?

    On 25 Nov 2003 03:51:16 -0800, walter_ariel_risi@hotmail.com (Walter
    Ariel Risi) wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Does anyone know if it is possible to use a standard external modem
    >(i.e. one designed for desktop PCs) with a Pocket PC? I mean, is it
    >possible to connect it through the cradle and use it to connect to an
    >ISP?

    A very definite maybe. If the cradle supports serial comm, then you're
    in good shape. You will probably need a NULL modem and a gender
    changer. If the cradle does not support serial comm, then maybe you
    can add an MMC card serial port. I've never tried to find one, so I
    don't know whether they exist. You might try looking at
    www.mobileplanet.com

    I just used google to look up
    Pocket PC external modem
    and got 5930 hits. That would be a _lot_ to wade through, but the
    first few look very relevant.

    >I have a Cassiopeiia EM-500 with MMC card slot, so I cannot use most
    >Pocket PC modems (which are designed as CF cards). The casio external
    >modem is an option, but it is difficult to find in stores. Thatīs why
    >Iīm so interested in finding an alternative...

    I just used google to look up
    em-500 external modem
    and got 44 hits. I didn't look closely, but the first few look
    relevant.

    >Cheers,
    >Walter.

    Robert E. Zaret