Activesync kills DSL connection - Windows CE

This is a discussion on Activesync kills DSL connection - Windows CE ; I have a client that has a weird Activesync problem. After syncing her dell windows ce device something happens that screws something up in her network needed to connect to the internet. The network is connected as follows: DSL connected ...

  1. Activesync kills DSL connection

    I have a client that has a weird Activesync problem. After syncing her dell
    windows ce device something happens that screws something up in her network
    needed to connect to the internet.

    The network is connected as follows: DSL connected to Linksys wired router
    to three windows xp PC's.

    The only way to get back her internet connection is to restart the DSL, the
    router and the PC.

    She is running Active Sync 3.7 syncing to Outlook 2002. I didn't have allot
    of
    time to look into the problem. The only thing I tried is to remove the
    network connect option in Active sync and see if see still had a valid IP
    address from the router.

    Thanks cliff

  2. Re: Activesync kills DSL connection

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:23:14 -0500, "Cliff Hartle"
    wrote:

    >I have a client that has a weird Activesync problem. After syncing her dell
    >windows ce device something happens that screws something up in her network
    >needed to connect to the internet.
    >
    >The network is connected as follows: DSL connected to Linksys wired router
    >to three windows xp PC's.
    >
    >The only way to get back her internet connection is to restart the DSL, the
    >router and the PC.
    >
    >She is running Active Sync 3.7 syncing to Outlook 2002. I didn't have allot
    >of
    >time to look into the problem. The only thing I tried is to remove the
    >network connect option in Active sync and see if see still had a valid IP
    >address from the router.

    The only thing ActiveSync does is open a local TCP/IP connection via
    the USB (or serial, or IR) connection - it shouldn't affect the router
    at all. There is the possibility it can affect the local PC, but I
    don't see how it can effect the router or the modem.

    I'd check the network properties in the computer, ensure the drivers
    are up to date, and if necessary try resetting TCP/IP in Windows XP.

    --
    Rob Borek
    Want *ONE ON ONE* support? http://www.pocketpcone2one.com

  3. Re: Activesync kills DSL connection

    Rob Borek wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:23:14 -0500, "Cliff Hartle"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I have a client that has a weird Activesync problem. After syncing her dell
    >>windows ce device something happens that screws something up in her network
    >>needed to connect to the internet.
    >>
    >>The network is connected as follows: DSL connected to Linksys wired router
    >>to three windows xp PC's.
    >>
    >>The only way to get back her internet connection is to restart the DSL, the
    >>router and the PC.
    >>
    >>She is running Active Sync 3.7 syncing to Outlook 2002. I didn't have allot
    >>of
    >>time to look into the problem. The only thing I tried is to remove the
    >>network connect option in Active sync and see if see still had a valid IP
    >>address from the router.

    > The only thing ActiveSync does is open a local TCP/IP connection via
    > the USB (or serial, or IR) connection - it shouldn't affect the router
    > at all. There is the possibility it can affect the local PC, but I
    > don't see how it can effect the router or the modem.
    >
    > I'd check the network properties in the computer, ensure the drivers
    > are up to date, and if necessary try resetting TCP/IP in Windows XP.

    I don't have dsl, but active sync has also hozed my network to the point
    that I had to reboot ALL the computers and the router to get it back.
    I uninstalled active sync.
    mike

    laptops and parts Test Equipment
    Honda CB-125S
    TEK Sampling Sweep Plugin and RM564
    Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser

  4. Re: Activesync kills DSL connection

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 01:58:11 -0800, mike wrote:

    >I don't have dsl, but active sync has also hozed my network to the point
    >that I had to reboot ALL the computers and the router to get it back.
    >I uninstalled active sync.

    Which desktop OS?

    --
    Rob Borek
    Want *ONE ON ONE* support? http://www.pocketpcone2one.com

  5. Re: Activesync kills DSL connection

    Hi,
    ActiveSync uses some TCP/IP ports in the subnet 192.168.55.0 so if you use
    this you would lose your network connection.

    --
    Chris De Herrera
    http://www.cewindows.net

    "mike" wrote in message news:3FC084B3.7010707@juno.com...
    > Rob Borek wrote:
    > > On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:23:14 -0500, "Cliff Hartle"
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > >>I have a client that has a weird Activesync problem. After syncing her

    dell
    > >>windows ce device something happens that screws something up in her

    network
    > >>needed to connect to the internet.
    > >>
    > >>The network is connected as follows: DSL connected to Linksys wired

    router
    > >>to three windows xp PC's.
    > >>
    > >>The only way to get back her internet connection is to restart the DSL,

    the
    > >>router and the PC.
    > >>
    > >>She is running Active Sync 3.7 syncing to Outlook 2002. I didn't have

    allot
    > >>of
    > >>time to look into the problem. The only thing I tried is to remove the
    > >>network connect option in Active sync and see if see still had a valid

    IP
    > >>address from the router.

    > > The only thing ActiveSync does is open a local TCP/IP connection via
    > > the USB (or serial, or IR) connection - it shouldn't affect the router
    > > at all. There is the possibility it can affect the local PC, but I
    > > don't see how it can effect the router or the modem.
    > >
    > > I'd check the network properties in the computer, ensure the drivers
    > > are up to date, and if necessary try resetting TCP/IP in Windows XP.
    > >

    > I don't have dsl, but active sync has also hozed my network to the point
    > that I had to reboot ALL the computers and the router to get it back.
    > I uninstalled active sync.
    > mike
    >
    > --
    > Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
    > laptops and parts Test Equipment
    > Honda CB-125S
    > TEK Sampling Sweep Plugin and RM564
    > Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser
    > Tektronix Concept Books, spot welding head...
    > http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

+ Reply to Thread