Cassiopeia e100 charge failure - Windows CE

This is a discussion on Cassiopeia e100 charge failure - Windows CE ; Hey all, My wife and I each have Cassiopeia E100s, both 4 years old. A month ago, my wife's suddenly stopped charging the battery. On the cradle or through the round DC plug, no green light, no charge. I swapped ...

  1. Cassiopeia e100 charge failure

    Hey all,

    My wife and I each have Cassiopeia E100s, both 4 years old. A month ago, my
    wife's suddenly stopped charging the battery. On the cradle or through the
    round DC plug, no green light, no charge. I swapped the battery and the
    charger with ones that worked fine on mine, still no go.

    Today, mine started having the exact same problem. Can't charge any
    battery, through either port.

    Once seemed like an unfortunate fluke, but having two fail within a month
    of each other?!

    I dug out the receipt, and they were purchased on 8/23/99. Almost exactly 4
    years ago. I hate to sound like a techno-conspiracist, but did Casio
    include some sort of timed failure point?

    Is anyone still using a Cassiopeia e100 more than 4 years old?

    Thanks for any help,

    -George

  2. Re: Cassiopeia e100 charge failure

    >I dug out the receipt, and they were purchased on 8/23/99. Almost exactly
    >4 years ago. I hate to sound like a techno-conspiracist, but did Casio
    >include some sort of timed failure point?

    Not exactly that, but Li-Ion batteries eventually wear out. They will
    lose their charging capacity after about 500 charge cycles (even
    partial ones), deep discharges and some battery experts even say that
    the chemical components within the battery decay and will be dead
    about 4 years after production. So this would make some sense.

    >Is anyone still using a Cassiopeia e100 more than 4 years old?

    My old E-105 is locked away in a drawer with the battery removed.
    Guess I should check if it's still working, as it is about as old as
    yours.

    --
    Marc Zimmermann
    Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

    Pocket PC User Groups http://www.clubpocketpc.de
    Personal Homepage http://www.zimac.de

  3. Re: Cassiopeia e100 charge failure

    "Marc Zimmermann [MVP]" wrote in

    > Not exactly that, but Li-Ion batteries eventually wear out. They will
    > lose their charging capacity after about 500 charge cycles (even
    > partial ones), deep discharges and some battery experts even say that
    > the chemical components within the battery decay and will be dead
    > about 4 years after production. So this would make some sense.

    I should have mentioned this in the original post, but I have two batteries
    for mine; one is the original (4 years old) and the other is about 2 years
    old. Neither will charge, so I don't think it's a battery age problem.

    Thanks, though!

    -George

  4. Re: Cassiopeia e100 charge failure

    My HP 540 quit charging a few weeks ago. Found the problem to be the ac-dc
    converter unit. Since then, I've gone to Radio Shack and bought their 6v, 1.8A
    power supply, spliced the old HP connector onto an adapter to the universal
    plug on the power supply (making sure the polarity is correct) and haven't had
    a problem since. Works great for my Toshiba digital camera, too. I now carry
    one power supply and the adapters.

    Lloyd

+ Reply to Thread