Network Client for CE 2.11 HPC? - Windows CE

This is a discussion on Network Client for CE 2.11 HPC? - Windows CE ; Hi there.. I cant seem to find the Network Client for CE anywhere ? I lost my downloaded version in a HD crash, and need to update my Jornada 680 to put it back on... can anyone help ? anyone ...

  1. Network Client for CE 2.11 HPC?

    Hi there..

    I cant seem to find the Network Client for CE anywhere ? I lost my
    downloaded version in a HD crash, and need to update my Jornada 680 to put
    it back on...

    can anyone help ? anyone got the file or know where it can be downloaded ?
    ms has turned nothing up on their site.

    thanks in advance
    martin

  2. Re: Network Client for CE 2.11 HPC?

    Am 21.08.2003 00:27 schrieb Martin J. Smith:
    > Hi there..
    >
    > I cant seem to find the Network Client for CE anywhere ? I lost my
    > downloaded version in a HD crash, and need to update my Jornada 680 to put
    > it back on...
    >
    > can anyone help ? anyone got the file or know where it can be downloaded ?
    > ms has turned nothing up on their site.

    AFAIK has the Jornada 680 the network client build in (it is in ROM).
    On the followind page You will find all HandheldPC-Downloads from Microsoft:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...c/default.mspx
    Maybe You think about the "Redirector for Windows CE 2.0 H/PCs", believe
    me, You don't need it...
    Greetings, Helge

    --
    Pocket PC Besitzer im Raum Sachsen? Schau doch mal rein!
    Pocket PC Usergroup Sachsen: http://www.pocketpc-usergroup-sachsen.de

  3. Re: Network Client for CE 2.11 HPC?

    I already downloaded the redirector/netbios dll upgrades, but at the run
    prompt if i type the machine name & share name, i cant get in..

    what am i doing wrong ? does \\computer\share format not work ?

    Martin

    ?

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...dheldpc/defaul
    t.mspx
    > Maybe You think about the "Redirector for Windows CE 2.0 H/PCs", believe
    > me, You don't need it...
    > Greetings, Helge
    >
    > --
    > Pocket PC Besitzer im Raum Sachsen? Schau doch mal rein!
    > Pocket PC Usergroup Sachsen: http://www.pocketpc-usergroup-sachsen.de
    > Jornada 680 Besitzer und auf der Suche nach Informationen?
    > Jornada 680 Seiten: http://www.tefs.de/jornada/

  4. Re: Network Client for CE 2.11 HPC?

    well, the shares are running on an XP box, and are accessible via my
    network... it just seems the Jornada cannot access them. No password is
    needed to read the shares either, which is strange...

    Martin

    "Helge Tefs" wrote in message
    > Am 21.08.2003 21:01 schrieb Martin J. Smith:
    > > I already downloaded the redirector/netbios dll upgrades, but at the run
    > > prompt if i type the machine name & share name, i cant get in..

    > I think, that was an mistake. The update is *only* needed for WindowsCE
    > 2.0, but the Jornada 680 works with WindowsCE 2.11. In WindowsCE 2.11 is
    > the redirector already build in (as I told in my first posting).
    >
    > > what am i doing wrong ? does \\computer\share format not work ?

    > It should work. Is the network connection to the server correct (e.g.
    > does it respond on ping?)?
    > What is the operating system of the server? Remember: on Windows 2000 or
    > XP (and the old NT too), You need valid login/password combination to
    > access shares on the server (look at the settings in Control Panel/
    > Network/ Identification on the Jornada 680).
    > Maybe this is helpful: http://www.cewindows.net/wce/20/redirector.htm
    > Greetings, Helge
    >
    > --
    > Pocket PC Besitzer im Raum Sachsen? Schau doch mal rein!
    > Pocket PC Usergroup Sachsen: http://www.pocketpc-usergroup-sachsen.de
    > Jornada 680 Besitzer und auf der Suche nach Informationen?
    > Jornada 680 Seiten: http://www.tefs.de/jornada/

  5. Re: Network Client for CE 2.11 HPC?

    just tried it again after reading redirector notes....

    all i get is a message saying : cannot connect to the network. check to see
    if your dial up connection is active or your network card is properly
    inserted.

    network card is working, as i can access the internet via our router.

    martin

    "Helge Tefs" wrote in message
    > Am 21.08.2003 21:01 schrieb Martin J. Smith:
    > > I already downloaded the redirector/netbios dll upgrades, but at the run
    > > prompt if i type the machine name & share name, i cant get in..

    > I think, that was an mistake. The update is *only* needed for WindowsCE
    > 2.0, but the Jornada 680 works with WindowsCE 2.11. In WindowsCE 2.11 is
    > the redirector already build in (as I told in my first posting).
    >
    > > what am i doing wrong ? does \\computer\share format not work ?

    > It should work. Is the network connection to the server correct (e.g.
    > does it respond on ping?)?
    > What is the operating system of the server? Remember: on Windows 2000 or
    > XP (and the old NT too), You need valid login/password combination to
    > access shares on the server (look at the settings in Control Panel/
    > Network/ Identification on the Jornada 680).
    > Maybe this is helpful: http://www.cewindows.net/wce/20/redirector.htm
    > Greetings, Helge
    >
    > --
    > Pocket PC Besitzer im Raum Sachsen? Schau doch mal rein!
    > Pocket PC Usergroup Sachsen: http://www.pocketpc-usergroup-sachsen.de
    > Jornada 680 Besitzer und auf der Suche nach Informationen?
    > Jornada 680 Seiten: http://www.tefs.de/jornada/

  6. Re: Network Client for CE 2.11 HPC?

    thats a bugger, i dont fancy doing a hard reset to restore the files, as i
    have loads of other stuff i have installed since....

    is it possible to do a selective restore with activesync, or any other 3rd
    party software ?

    Martin

    "Chris Tilley - HPC:Factor" wrote in
    message news:3f47f76a$0$15032$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com ...
    > Martin, as Helge Tefs has said, please confirm that you have removed the
    > Redirector files from your Jornada. The CE 2.0 redirector files and the CE
    > 2.0 Network Service Pack
    > (http://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/official_updates.asp)
    > Hard reset if you are unsure of how to clear them.
    >
    > The Jornada will not be able to connect to the network while they still
    > exist.
    >
    > If you have already done this or are still having the problem afterwards,
    > then come back to us and we will troubleshoot
    >
    > Chris Tilley
    > HPC:Factor - http://www.hpcfactor.com/
    > HPC:Factor SETI Group - http://www.hpcfactor.com/seti/group/
    >

    > "Martin J. Smith" wrote in message
    > > just tried it again after reading redirector notes....
    > >
    > > all i get is a message saying : cannot connect to the network. check to

    > see
    > > if your dial up connection is active or your network card is properly
    > > inserted.
    > >
    > > network card is working, as i can access the internet via our router.
    > >
    > > martin
    > >
    > > "Helge Tefs" wrote in message

    > run
    > > >
    > > > I think, that was an mistake. The update is *only* needed for

    WindowsCE
    > > > 2.0, but the Jornada 680 works with WindowsCE 2.11. In WindowsCE 2.11

    is
    > > > the redirector already build in (as I told in my first posting).

    > > > It should work. Is the network connection to the server correct (e.g.
    > > > does it respond on ping?)?
    > > > What is the operating system of the server? Remember: on Windows 2000

    or
    > > > XP (and the old NT too), You need valid login/password combination to
    > > > access shares on the server (look at the settings in Control Panel/
    > > > Network/ Identification on the Jornada 680).
    > > > Maybe this is helpful: http://www.cewindows.net/wce/20/redirector.htm
    > > > Greetings, Helge
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Pocket PC Besitzer im Raum Sachsen? Schau doch mal rein!
    > > > Pocket PC Usergroup Sachsen: http://www.pocketpc-usergroup-sachsen.de
    > > > Jornada 680 Besitzer und auf der Suche nach Informationen?
    > > > Jornada 680 Seiten: http://www.tefs.de/jornada/

  7. Re: Network Client for CE 2.11 HPC?

    i just remove the netbios & redir files, as it appears there were no
    originals anyway, after doing a full reset.. will this be ok after just
    deleting and doing a soft reset?

    it now appears to work anyways, thansk ever so much!

    martin

    > thats a bugger, i dont fancy doing a hard reset to restore the files, as i
    > have loads of other stuff i have installed since....
    >
    > is it possible to do a selective restore with activesync, or any other 3rd
    > party software ?
    >
    > Martin
    >
    > "Chris Tilley - HPC:Factor" wrote in
    > message news:3f47f76a$0$15032$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com ...
    > > Martin, as Helge Tefs has said, please confirm that you have removed the
    > > Redirector files from your Jornada. The CE 2.0 redirector files and the

    CE
    > > 2.0 Network Service Pack
    > > (http://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/official_updates.asp)
    > > Hard reset if you are unsure of how to clear them.
    > >
    > > The Jornada will not be able to connect to the network while they still
    > > exist.
    > >
    > > If you have already done this or are still having the problem

    afterwards,
    > > then come back to us and we will troubleshoot
    > >
    > > Chris Tilley
    > > HPC:Factor - http://www.hpcfactor.com/
    > > HPC:Factor SETI Group - http://www.hpcfactor.com/seti/group/
    > >

    > > "Martin J. Smith" wrote in message
    > > > just tried it again after reading redirector notes....
    > > >
    > > > all i get is a message saying : cannot connect to the network. check

    > > see
    > > > if your dial up connection is active or your network card is properly
    > > > inserted.
    > > >
    > > > network card is working, as i can access the internet via our router.
    > > >
    > > > martin
    > > >
    > > > "Helge Tefs" wrote in message

    the
    > > run

    > WindowsCE

    2.11
    > is

    (e.g.

    2000
    > or

    http://www.cewindows.net/wce/20/redirector.htm

    http://www.pocketpc-usergroup-sachsen.de

  8. Re: Network Client for CE 2.11 HPC?

    Are you sure that you got all of the stray files out?

    In my experience CE can be a little slow in collecting all of its network
    information. If you are turning on, or putting the NIC into the device and
    trying to access a share too quickly, then that could be the reason for it
    failing. Try and leave it approximately 30 - 60 seconds before trying a
    network address

    Accessing using the IP address is a limitation of the CE redirector service.
    You must use the NetBIOS name of the device.

    > Only a couple of remaining issues... thanks ever so much for your help so
    > far!
    >
    > when i try and access a share \\mypc for example, i get 'bad network

    name',
    > but when i try a second time, it works... also i cannot seem to access

    using
    > IP addresses, ie \\192.168.1.1. Is this a limitation of Win CE?
    >
    > I'm currently only using DNS, no wins server being assign as i dont have
    > one. I'm using DHCP and notice that the computername is not being sent as
    > part of the request packet, didnt know if maybe its not connecting

    properly,
    > hence only working second time around ?
    >
    > Thanks again
    > Martin
    >
    > "Chris Tilley - HPC:Factor" wrote in
    > message news:3f48a704$0$13649$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com ...
    > > You've fallen into the Windows CE trap. You can't see the originals, so
    > > your've assumed that they aren't there.
    > >
    > > Everyone wonders that, infact, Windows CE has a super hidden file

    > attribute.
    > > The files are in that are on the ROM chip for the most part will have

    this
    > > attribute. There are literally hundreds of files that you can't see in
    > > Windows Explorer
    > >
    > > It should be fine removing the fiules and soft reseting.
    > >
    > > I'm pleased it works
    > >
    > > Chris Tilley
    > > HPC:Factor - http://www.hpcfactor.com/
    > > HPC:Factor SETI Group - http://www.hpcfactor.com/seti/group/
    > >

    > > --
    > >
    > > "Martin J. Smith" wrote in message
    > > > i just remove the netbios & redir files, as it appears there were no
    > > > originals anyway, after doing a full reset.. will this be ok after

    just
    > > > deleting and doing a soft reset?
    > > >
    > > > it now appears to work anyways, thansk ever so much!
    > > >
    > > > martin
    > > >
    > > > "Martin J. Smith" wrote in message

    files,
    > as