Help: Platform Manager install fails! - Windows CE

This is a discussion on Help: Platform Manager install fails! - Windows CE ; Trying to install the PocketPC dev tools and the Platform Manager install fails then rolls back. I'm on Win2k SP3. I couldn't find anything on MS about it, but there sems to be heaps of newsgroup postings with similar problems. ...

  1. Help: Platform Manager install fails!

    Trying to install the PocketPC dev tools and the Platform Manager
    install fails then rolls back. I'm on Win2k SP3. I couldn't find
    anything on MS about it, but there sems to be heaps of newsgroup
    postings with similar problems. The only proposed solution I've seen
    is to reinstall Windows and, whatever you do, don't install IE6.

    Surely there must be a simpler solution? Please???

    (I've never had any install failures previously in 2.5 years of
    running with Win2k. I guess my luck has run out.)

  2. Re: Platform Manager install fails!

    you have to upgrade to SP5 to start with.

    "Shinji Ikari" wrote in message
    news:8cd70836.0308080604.7fbd8097@posting.google.c om...
    > Trying to install the PocketPC dev tools and the Platform Manager
    > install fails then rolls back. I'm on Win2k SP3. I couldn't find
    > anything on MS about it, but there sems to be heaps of newsgroup
    > postings with similar problems. The only proposed solution I've seen
    > is to reinstall Windows and, whatever you do, don't install IE6.
    >
    > Surely there must be a simpler solution? Please???
    >
    > (I've never had any install failures previously in 2.5 years of
    > running with Win2k. I guess my luck has run out.)

  3. Re: Platform Manager install fails!

    "Das" wrote in message news:...

    > you have to upgrade to SP5 to start with.

    Thanks, but the latest W2K SP is SP4. I'll try that, but the install
    requirements say SP2 is the minimum.

  4. Re: Help: Platform Manager install fails!

    Trawling the newsgorups looking for answers to this again today. It
    seems a common problem with Platform Manager and no obvious solution.
    What exactly does this app do and why is it so troublesome? Is there
    some alternative?

    shinji@swirve.com (Shinji Ikari) wrote in message news:<8cd70836.0308080604.7fbd8097@posting.google.com>...
    > Trying to install the PocketPC dev tools and the Platform Manager
    > install fails then rolls back. I'm on Win2k SP3. I couldn't find
    > anything on MS about it, but there sems to be heaps of newsgroup
    > postings with similar problems. The only proposed solution I've seen
    > is to reinstall Windows and, whatever you do, don't install IE6.
    >
    > Surely there must be a simpler solution? Please???
    >
    > (I've never had any install failures previously in 2.5 years of
    > running with Win2k. I guess my luck has run out.)

  5. Re: Help: Platform Manager install fails!

    shinji@swirve.com (Shinji Ikari) wrote in message news:<8cd70836.0308080604.7fbd8097@posting.google.com>...

    > Trying to install the PocketPC dev tools and the Platform Manager
    > install fails then rolls back.

    hehe you're not alone

    > Surely there must be a simpler solution? Please???

    Not that we've found at work. We get the same failure on our w2k
    development machines. We've all combinations of OS reinstalls, SP
    updates, etc. No luck. Tried XP, no luck. Next week we're going to
    get a range of boxes from our supplier to see if its hardware related
    (downside is that we'll have to upgrade all the developers' machines
    if that's the case. MS have been no help. We've tried a couple of
    consultants but they couldn't get past the install failure either.
    Our fallback is to dump the CE OS completely and experiment with an
    alternate OS on the handhelds (luckily we're in a position to do that
    which may not be the case with you).

    Now for some grumbling... MS are about to lose another big customer
    due to the continuing problems we've had with their stuff (this is
    only one of the problems we've faced). VC++ 6 was a great product
    (still the best in my opinion), but it all seemed to go downhill from
    there. Ok, maybe our team is just p#ssed after a long sting of
    problems, but we've never experienced such difficulties on other
    platforms.

    > (I've never had any install failures previously in 2.5 years of
    > running with Win2k. I guess my luck has run out.)

    Yeah, most other MS stuff plays really nicely with w2k.

  6. Re: Help: Platform Manager install fails!

    Installed SP4... still fails.
    Reinstalled W2K, applied SP2... still fails.

    Why is this software so finicky? Why is it so tightly coupled to the
    OS? I hope MS aren't moving towards integrating it so tightly with
    Windows that it cant be shipped without it (like IE). Although, at
    lest then I wouldn't have to go through this install nightmare.

    Im out of options.

    shinji@swirve.com (Shinji Ikari) wrote in message news:<8cd70836.0308081609.c01511c@posting.google.com>...
    > Trawling the newsgorups looking for answers to this again today. It
    > seems a common problem with Platform Manager and no obvious solution.
    > What exactly does this app do and why is it so troublesome? Is there
    > some alternative?
    >
    > shinji@swirve.com (Shinji Ikari) wrote in message news:<8cd70836.0308080604.7fbd8097@posting.google.com>...
    > > Trying to install the PocketPC dev tools and the Platform Manager
    > > install fails then rolls back. I'm on Win2k SP3. I couldn't find
    > > anything on MS about it, but there sems to be heaps of newsgroup
    > > postings with similar problems. The only proposed solution I've seen
    > > is to reinstall Windows and, whatever you do, don't install IE6.
    > >
    > > Surely there must be a simpler solution? Please???
    > >
    > > (I've never had any install failures previously in 2.5 years of
    > > running with Win2k. I guess my luck has run out.)

  7. Re: Platform Manager install fails!

    Sorry what I was thinking SP4. I was thinking about VC++..Well i did not
    have such a problem. I had similar problem with eVC++ 4.0. Go back to
    earlier version and install any service packs later..that worked for me. But
    now I am on eVC++ service pak 2. Dont have any problems. Roll back is
    symptom that not all tools are not at the same level of licensing. check
    all the latest versions remove any earlier versions and install or follow
    the method I suggested about going back to previous version and upgrading to
    service pak

    news:8cd70836.0308081445.377f3110@posting.google.c om...

    > > you have to upgrade to SP5 to start with.

    > Thanks, but the latest W2K SP is SP4. I'll try that, but the install
    > requirements say SP2 is the minimum.

  8. Re: Help: Platform Manager install fails!

    Adelaide73@hotmail.com (Michael Adelaide) wrote in message news:...
    > shinji@swirve.com (Shinji Ikari) wrote in message news:<8cd70836.0308080604.7fbd8097@posting.google.com>...
    >
    > > Trying to install the PocketPC dev tools and the Platform Manager
    > > install fails then rolls back.

    > hehe you're not alone
    >
    > > Surely there must be a simpler solution? Please???

    > Not that we've found at work. We get the same failure on our w2k
    > development machines. We've all combinations of OS reinstalls, SP
    > updates, etc. No luck. Tried XP, no luck. Next week we're going to
    > get a range of boxes from our supplier to see if its hardware related
    > (downside is that we'll have to upgrade all the developers' machines
    > if that's the case. MS have been no help. We've tried a couple of
    > consultants but they couldn't get past the install failure either.
    > Our fallback is to dump the CE OS completely and experiment with an
    > alternate OS on the handhelds (luckily we're in a position to do that
    > which may not be the case with you).
    >
    > Now for some grumbling... MS are about to lose another big customer
    > due to the continuing problems we've had with their stuff (this is
    > only one of the problems we've faced). VC++ 6 was a great product
    > (still the best in my opinion), but it all seemed to go downhill from
    > there. Ok, maybe our team is just p#ssed after a long sting of
    > problems, but we've never experienced such difficulties on other
    > platforms.
    >

    > > (I've never had any install failures previously in 2.5 years of
    > > running with Win2k. I guess my luck has run out.)

    > Yeah, most other MS stuff plays really nicely with w2k.

    We had something like that happen at my workplace: the progress bar
    would work its way to 100%, then roll back to 0, then say there was a
    problem.

    We found that the machine on which we were installing Platform Manager
    was running PC/Anywhere, and when we exited that program, the install
    worked correctly. You might try ending unnecessary programs before
    running the install.

    We shared the FRUSTRATION you're feeling as well.

    HTH,
    Regards,
    Brian

+ Reply to Thread