Re: Network trouble with Windows CE 2.11 & Xircom CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 - Windows CE

This is a discussion on Re: Network trouble with Windows CE 2.11 & Xircom CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 - Windows CE ; I have a similar upgraded HP620 sitting on my lap right now. I don't have a Xircom card, but just tested with a Network Everywhere (Linksys brand name) NP10T. I needed a few tries to get the settings to take. ...

  1. Re: Network trouble with Windows CE 2.11 & Xircom CreditCard Ethernet 10/100

    I have a similar upgraded HP620 sitting on my lap right now. I don't
    have a Xircom card, but just tested with a Network Everywhere (Linksys
    brand name) NP10T. I needed a few tries to get the settings to take.
    When I inserted the card, I was prompted to set the parameters for the
    built-in NE2000 driver. I left the defaults unchanged, but _did_ have
    to press OK (that means I'm using DHCP and have left all DNS and WINS
    entries blank). I removed and reinserted the card, and now I can ping
    it from a desktop, and can ping the desktop from the HP. (Thank you,
    Cambridge Computer Corp. for VxUtil - it is wonderful.)

    Are you sure the IP address reported by VxUtil is real? If you aren't
    actually connected, you will get a "default" address (something like
    127.0.0.1).

    I'm pretty sure you won't be able to use ActiveSync via Ethernet until
    you establish a partnership (when connected via serial or IR) _and_
    put the IP address of the partner in one of the spots for WINS server
    on your 620.

    On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 22:31:51 GMT, "DH" wrote:

    >I recently purchased a Xircom CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 for my upgraded HP
    >660lx with Windows CE 2.11 Handheld PC Pro. I installed the Xircom CE
    >software including the driver according to the instructions. I configured
    >the Xircom Ethernet Adapter to obtain an IP address via DHCP and left the
    >name server addresses blank. Also, I left the Identification in the Network
    >Configuration as the default. I downloaded and installed vxUtil to use for
    >troubleshooting. When I connect to the adapter to the network, I get an IP
    >address, subnet mask, default gateway, primary dns, secondary dns, primary
    >wins, secondary wins and dhcp server address for the Xircom Ethernet adapter
    >(vxUtil Info). The other adapters listed ppp, proxim ethernet and NE2000
    >Compatible Ethernet have all zeroes. Next, I try to ping another device by
    >IP address on the network using vxUtil. The pings fail (request timed out).
    >I tried to ping the handheld from a destop and it also failed. I know I
    >must be communicating since the addresses were retrieved from the DHCP
    >server. Also, the ethernet cable works on other PCs. Does anyone have any
    >ideas on how to fix the ping failure problem? Thanks.
    >
    >--
    >DH

    Robert E. Zaret
    PenFact, Inc.
    46 Beach Street
    Boston, MA 02111
    www.penfact.com

  2. Re: Network trouble with Windows CE 2.11 & Xircom CreditCard Ethernet 10/100

    The Xircom adapter has it's own Window CE driver and doesn't use the
    NE2000 driver that comes with my Windows CE handheld pro. I know that
    the address is real because I can see that it is connected to the
    network with that address using network tools. I have not tried
    activesync via ethernet since I cannot ping the desktop. I did sync
    using the serial cable. Thanks for your response.

+ Reply to Thread