Late breaking news:
See a thread called "Phillips and Compaq HPC file xfers mutually
exclussive?" in comp.sys.handhelds today. Mike can use a Velo with
ActiveSync 3.1

Now, back to the note I composed a bit earlier:

I have a bit more time this morning, so I've done some research.

Microsoft Windows CE Services is/was the name of the program that
preceded ActiveSync. I just did a quick search starting at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/default.mspx
and found nothing. No surprise. Unfortunately, that means you will
probably have a hard time finding a copy. I don't have an old enough
CE computer to test its compatibility with ActiveSync. So I've helped
about as much as I can.

(CE Services included an option called ActiveSync, which was the piece
that actually synchronized. I think the new name is a mistake. But the
old program was definitely even fussier than its replacement.)

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 12:55:15 GMT, r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote:

>I'm in a bit of a rush, and don't remember details. If someone else
>doesn't help out with details, I'll try again later.
>
>ActiveSync is the software used to connect current Windows CE
>computers to "desktops". It is available for free from Microsoft, but
>I'm not sure the exact location. I would start with:
>http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/hand...ds/default.asp
>
>Unfortunately, I _think_ ActiveSync won't work with version 1.0 of
>Windows CE. I can't remember offhand the name of the predecessor to
>ActiveSync, but _think_ it won't work under 2K or XP.
>
>On 23 Jun 2003 03:57:21 -0700, netiness@hotmail.com
>(=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kjetil_N=E6ss?=) wrote:
>
>>I've received an old Velo1 with Windows CE 1.0. Is there anyway to
>>connect this to windows xp or windows 2000 in order to exchange files
>>between the two ? I do not have access to the original software. Thanx
>>for any help
>>
>>Kjetil Naess

>To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and please indicate which newsgroup and message).
>
>Robert E. Zaret
>PenFact, Inc.
>46 Beach Street
>Boston, MA 02111