ANN: New version of PocketDOS available (v1.07.4) - Windows CE

This is a discussion on ANN: New version of PocketDOS available (v1.07.4) - Windows CE ; Q: What is PocketDOS? A: PocketDOS is an MS-DOS 6.22 compatible DOS for your Microsoft Windows CE, Microsoft Pocket PC or Psion/Symbian EPOC32 based Pocket Computer. In addition to a full DOS, PocketDOS lets you install and run many DOS ...

  1. ANN: New version of PocketDOS available (v1.07.4)

    Q: What is PocketDOS?
    A: PocketDOS is an MS-DOS 6.22 compatible DOS for your Microsoft
    Windows CE, Microsoft Pocket PC or Psion/Symbian EPOC32 based Pocket
    Computer. In addition to a full DOS, PocketDOS lets you install and
    run many DOS programs* on your Pocket Computer. PocketDOS also lets
    you access devices such as touchscreens, built-in and external modems,
    IR ports, flash disks, network drives, printers and more from within
    DOS and DOS programs.
    (* Intel 8086/80186 compatible using CGA, MCGA, HP-LX or text display
    modes)

    Q: What is new in this version?
    A: This version:
    - Fixes installer warnings/errors when installing PocketDOS on Windows
    CE.NET devices
    - Fixes demo version lockup which occurred on some Pocket PC 2002
    devices
    - Fixes lockup which occurred on some devices when suspending and then
    resuming PocketDOS
    - Adds Unicode path support for redirected drive letters (from GUI
    only)
    - Adds 'safe' mode startup option
    - Adds 'System Information' item to 'Help' menu
    - Adds external API for developers to use Windows CE DLL functions
    from DOS applications

    Q: Which devices are compatible with PocketDOS?
    A: All Windows CE (1.0 and later) and Pocket PC devices (including
    Pocket PC 2002), in the Palm-sized, Pocket PC, Handheld PC, Handheld
    PC Professional and Handheld PC 2000 formats with Hitachi SH3 or SH4,
    MIPS-compatible, ARM, StrongARM and XScale processors. All Casio
    PocketManager Windows CE devices with MIPS-compatible processors.

    Q: Where can I download a demo copy?
    A: http://www.pocketdos.com

    Q: What does PocketDOS cost?
    A: PocketDOS costs $39.95 (US) with a license to Datalight's ROM-DOS
    operating system, or $32.95 (US) without an operating system license.

    Registered PocketDOS users can upgrade (for free) to the latest
    version of PocketDOS.

    Any queries should be addressed to the PocketDOS support forum in the
    "Support" section of the PocketDOS website.
    --
    PocketDOS - Adds DOS compatibility to your Pocket Computer.
    http://www.pocketdos.com

  2. Re: New version of PocketDOS available (v1.07.4)

    Can I post my Ads. here too?
    I have a lot of products to post...
    not...!

    "PocketDOS" escribió en el mensaje
    news:418bc8dc.0306231540.29e73ff4@posting.google.c om...
    > Q: What is PocketDOS?
    > A: PocketDOS is an MS-DOS 6.22 compatible DOS for your Microsoft
    > Windows CE, Microsoft Pocket PC or Psion/Symbian EPOC32 based Pocket
    > Computer. In addition to a full DOS, PocketDOS lets you install and
    > run many DOS programs* on your Pocket Computer. PocketDOS also lets
    > you access devices such as touchscreens, built-in and external modems,
    > IR ports, flash disks, network drives, printers and more from within
    > DOS and DOS programs.
    > (* Intel 8086/80186 compatible using CGA, MCGA, HP-LX or text display
    > modes)
    >
    > Q: What is new in this version?
    > A: This version:
    > - Fixes installer warnings/errors when installing PocketDOS on Windows
    > CE.NET devices
    > - Fixes demo version lockup which occurred on some Pocket PC 2002
    > devices
    > - Fixes lockup which occurred on some devices when suspending and then
    > resuming PocketDOS
    > - Adds Unicode path support for redirected drive letters (from GUI
    > only)
    > - Adds 'safe' mode startup option
    > - Adds 'System Information' item to 'Help' menu
    > - Adds external API for developers to use Windows CE DLL functions
    > from DOS applications
    >
    > Q: Which devices are compatible with PocketDOS?
    > A: All Windows CE (1.0 and later) and Pocket PC devices (including
    > Pocket PC 2002), in the Palm-sized, Pocket PC, Handheld PC, Handheld
    > PC Professional and Handheld PC 2000 formats with Hitachi SH3 or SH4,
    > MIPS-compatible, ARM, StrongARM and XScale processors. All Casio
    > PocketManager Windows CE devices with MIPS-compatible processors.
    >
    > Q: Where can I download a demo copy?
    > A: http://www.pocketdos.com
    >
    > Q: What does PocketDOS cost?
    > A: PocketDOS costs $39.95 (US) with a license to Datalight's ROM-DOS
    > operating system, or $32.95 (US) without an operating system license.
    >
    > Registered PocketDOS users can upgrade (for free) to the latest
    > version of PocketDOS.
    >
    > Any queries should be addressed to the PocketDOS support forum in the
    > "Support" section of the PocketDOS website.
    > --
    > PocketDOS - Adds DOS compatibility to your Pocket Computer.
    > http://www.pocketdos.com

  3. Ads vs. NPAs: was Re: New version of PocketDOS available (v1.07.4)

    Just my personal opinion, but:

    Most newsgroups have a charter and/or FAQ that should define whether
    "ads" are allowed. I must admit I haven't read the charter for this
    group.

    The next question is, "Is this an ad or a 'new product announcement'?"
    I personally think 'new product announcements' are OK, as long as they
    don't come too often from a single company. Many times newsgroup
    charters will permit new product announcements, but not ads. (It has
    taken me about 30 minutes to write this message, since I have just
    spent that much time trying to find the Microsoft newsgroups charters.
    On the Microsoft site their "Rules of Conduct" link for newsgroups is
    broken.)

    With regards to the above product, apparently the author announces
    "new versions" for each minor upgrade. Personally I think that may be
    a bit much, unless there are several months between versions. I don't
    mind a message every 6 months or so, as long as they benefit the
    group.

    Just my personal opinion.

    Jay Shilstone

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:45:10 -0300, "Esteban Berretta"
    wrote:

    >Can I post my Ads. here too?
    >I have a lot of products to post...
    >not...!

  4. Re: Ads vs. NPAs: was Re: New version of PocketDOS available (v1.07.4)

    Its permitted, otherwise the MVP's would have out a stop to it.

    There are a lot of PocketDOS users out there, and most of the Windows CE
    news and info sites carry update releases. Update releases are beneficial
    for everyone.

    FYI, microsoft.public.windowsce was deleted about 2 years ago
    --
    Chris Tilley
    HPC:Factor - http://www.hpcfactor.com/

    "James Shilstone" wrote in message
    > Just my personal opinion, but:
    >
    > Most newsgroups have a charter and/or FAQ that should define whether
    > "ads" are allowed. I must admit I haven't read the charter for this
    > group.
    >
    > The next question is, "Is this an ad or a 'new product announcement'?"
    > I personally think 'new product announcements' are OK, as long as they
    > don't come too often from a single company. Many times newsgroup
    > charters will permit new product announcements, but not ads. (It has
    > taken me about 30 minutes to write this message, since I have just
    > spent that much time trying to find the Microsoft newsgroups charters.
    > On the Microsoft site their "Rules of Conduct" link for newsgroups is
    > broken.)
    >
    > With regards to the above product, apparently the author announces
    > "new versions" for each minor upgrade. Personally I think that may be
    > a bit much, unless there are several months between versions. I don't
    > mind a message every 6 months or so, as long as they benefit the
    > group.
    >
    > Just my personal opinion.
    >
    > Jay Shilstone
    >
    > On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:45:10 -0300, "Esteban Berretta"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Can I post my Ads. here too?
    > >I have a lot of products to post...
    > >not...!

  5. Re: New version of PocketDOS available (v1.07.4)

    In article ,
    Esteban Berretta wrote:
    > Can I post my Ads. here too?

    Sure. Once per product release or update, on topic, to a small number
    of relevant groups, preferably crossposted.

    There was one posted recently that you could use as a model. Some kind
    of emulator for the Pocket PC.

    --
    #!/usr/bin/perl
    $/="%\n";chomp(@_=<>);print$_[rand$.]

    Peter da Silva, just another Perl poseur.

+ Reply to Thread