Service Pack Level for Portal Install - Websphere

This is a discussion on Service Pack Level for Portal Install - Websphere ; According to InfoCenter the right levels of service packs on our Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 installtion for Websphere Portal 6.1.0.2 [required| http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvie...d=swg27014990] is SP2, but can I use SP3 as well? Is there a general statement about upwards compatability? ...

  1. Service Pack Level for Portal Install

    According to InfoCenter the right levels of service packs on our Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 installtion for Websphere Portal 6.1.0.2 [required|http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvie...d=swg27014990] is SP2, but can I use SP3 as well? Is there a general statement about upwards compatability?

    Confusing for me also is: for Portal 32-bit and 64-bit its always "SUSE SLES 10 SP2" required. But which bit-version? Only 32? Or 32-bit-SLES for 32-bit-Portal and 64-but-SLES for 64-bit-Portal?

    BTW: Same problem for Sametime install. Here SLES 10 SP1 is [required|http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvie...d=swg27010738].

  2. Re: Service Pack Level for Portal Install

    For WebSphere Portal, this is documented in the link you've posted:

    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvie...id=swg27014990

    Note at the top of the page this paragraph:

    "LATER LEVEL OF A LISTED SOFTWARE: Because other products frequently ship fixes, updates, and new releases, testing every configuration is not possible. In general, you can install and run with updates to supported products if those updates are compatible with the tested versions. For more details and exceptions, refer to the WebSphere Portal 6.1.x Support Statement. Also see the listing of software explicitly not supported for use with WebSphere Portal 6.1.x in WebSphere Portal Support Statement Addendum - Unsupported Products (#7012957)."

    The Portal Support Statement is linked from there:

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce..._req_supt.html

    Under "Newer Versions and Releases of Supported Products", you find this paragraph:

    "For non-IBM products, the Support team will make a commercially reasonable effort to support products in this category. Support will accept problem reports (PMRs) for the appropriate releases using these untested products. If Support is able to recreate the reported problem using a "Supported" version of the product, we will attempt to fix the problem."

    So in short, for WebSphere Portal at least, SUSE SLES 10 SP3 is fine. For the bit versions, what you've written is correct. 32-bit Portal needs a 32-bit kernel. 64-bit Portal needs a 64-bit kernel.
    ~HT

  3. Re: Service Pack Level for Portal Install

    Thanks so much your reply. I knew these statements before, but I did not dare to draw the conclusion SLES 10 SP3 would be fine. Now I have a better feeling about it ;-)

    Final Question:
    Is the 64-bit linux kernel a separate installation of SLES 10?

+ Reply to Thread