WebSphere Portal Performance Measurement - Websphere

This is a discussion on WebSphere Portal Performance Measurement - Websphere ; We are conducting performance measurement exercises for IBM WebSphere Portal v6.1.0.1. In order to drive the portal to saturation point in a load test, we need to ramp up users sufficiently to simulate a real world scenario. The issue is ...

  1. WebSphere Portal Performance Measurement

    We are conducting performance measurement exercises for IBM WebSphere Portal v6.1.0.1. In order to drive the portal to saturation point in a load test, we need to ramp up users sufficiently to simulate a real world scenario.

    The issue is regarding user IDs (created on LDAP/AD) versus the number of virtual users. We can create any number of virtual users by logging in actual users multiple times – we only have 20 test user IDs.

    This doesn't work for Portal. User data is not updated in the DB as Portal detects the simultaneous login and does nothing. So what you are left with is an artificial performance bottleneck/unrealistically high CPU load and/or lock contention on the DB server.

    The message logged is:

    {code}com.ibm.wps.engine.commands.LoginUser execute EJPSD0027E: User data for user Yin_006_992 was not updated due to multiple logins.{code}

    In an IBM document entitled "IBM WebSphere Portal Performance Troubleshooting Guide" (December 2008) it states that you should "…create a pool of user IDs to be used in the load test. This pool of user IDs should be at least 25 times as large as the maximum number of virtual users being used."

    This is unrealistic in our current environment. Even if we wanted to test 1,500 users, which is the target amount for go-live, it wouldn't really be allowed from a risk and compliance point of view.

    What, if any, is the recommended process to simulate actual users for a load test without having to create 1,500 test users on AD?

    Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: WebSphere Portal Performance Measurement

    hey is this still an issue ?

  3. Re: WebSphere Portal Performance Measurement

    The message is probaly because you are using the same id/passwords for your tests and essentially logging over and over again with that id. Ideally you would want to have file with multiple different id/password combinations

+ Reply to Thread