Diff between portlet deployment through Deployment Manager andPortal node? - Websphere

This is a discussion on Diff between portlet deployment through Deployment Manager andPortal node? - Websphere ; Hi, I have a Clustered Portal environment. For deploying portlets, I can opt one of the following two options. 1. Deploying in Deployment Manager steps: a)Deploy the portlet through wsadmin AdminApp install scripts b)Run XmlAccess in any of the Portal ...

  1. Diff between portlet deployment through Deployment Manager andPortal node?

    Hi,

    I have a Clustered Portal environment. For deploying portlets, I can opt one of the following two options.

    1. Deploying in Deployment Manager
    steps: a)Deploy the portlet through wsadmin AdminApp install scripts
    b)Run XmlAccess in any of the Portal node to get the Portlet definition from DM to Portal node
    c)Run ConfigEngine task 'activate-portlets' to activate the portlet and sychronize the changes in all portal nodes.

    2. Deploying in Portal node
    steps: a)Run XmlAccess in any of the Portal node to get the Portlet definition from DM to Portal node
    b)Run ConfigEngine task 'activate-portlets' to activate the portlet and sychronize the changes in all portal nodes.

    So using the second one we can avoid one extra step of deploying the portlets in DM.
    So anybody please tell me why we have to opt the first option?? Is there any best practices which suggests the same?? Please give me a reply for the same.

    Thanks and Regards
    Sujith Poduval

  2. Re: Diff between portlet deployment through Deployment Manager andPortal node?

    In general, there are no benefits by installing a WAR through WAS. So if it's a simple Portlet Application packaged in a WAR file, use Portal GUI or XMLaccess to deploy.

    If you have other components in the application and you have to package it as a pre-deployed EAR, then you have to use the option 1 to deploy.

    In a multi-cluster environment (a single cell with more than 1 portal cluster), if you want to deploy the application to be shared by all clusters, option 1 is your only choice.

    This info is documented in the Portal InfoCenter at
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...v6r1/index.jsp

    -FF