'EJPIC0218E: The Portal archive install step failed' Portal 6.0install err - Websphere

This is a discussion on 'EJPIC0218E: The Portal archive install step failed' Portal 6.0install err - Websphere ; Hi, I'm attempting to install a local copy of Portal server v6.0 on my laptop and am getting an error on the final installation step. This error is: "EJPIC0218E: The Portal archive install step failed. Refer to the log file ...

  1. 'EJPIC0218E: The Portal archive install step failed' Portal 6.0install err

    Hi,

    I'm attempting to install a local copy of Portal server v6.0 on my laptop and am getting an error on the final installation step. This error is:

    "EJPIC0218E: The Portal archive install step failed.
    Refer to the log file C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere\PortalServer\log\LocalizeTrace .archive5.log for additional details.
    The Portal installation program is exiting."

    When I look in LocalizeTrace.archive5.log, all that is in there is:

    "PortalArchiveInstaller version is: Unknown
    C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer2 is valid location for WAS: true
    Version Info for OS is Windows XP SP3
    Portal Unique ID is 0015C550E917
    Looking for com/ibm/wps/localize/ArchiveLocalizer.copylst
    Found com/ibm/wps/localize/ArchiveLocalizer.copylst
    Copying config/templates/db/cloudscape/wps_fix_id.sql to C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere\PortalServer\config\templates\ db\cloudscape\wps_fix_id.sql"

    Which doesn't give me any information as to what the problem is.

    Also when I look in the wpinstalllog log file, I can't see any errors in there. The final few lines in the log file simply repeat the error message I mentioned above and don't provide any additional information.

    I've searched on the web and there are many people who have had the same error message at me but they all seem to have some meaningful error message in LocalizeTrace.archive5.log.

    Does anyone have any idea what is causing the problem and how I can resolve?

    Cheers,

    KJ.

  2. Re: 'EJPIC0218E: The Portal archive install step failed' Portal 6.0install err

    Hi,

    That is the correct log but the fact yours ends right there seems to indicate we might have a resource issue. Could you upload that log along with the wpinstalllog.txt? Both should be located in the PortalServer/log directory.

    Are you out of file space or anything like that?

    ~HT

  3. Re: 'EJPIC0218E: The Portal archive install step failed' Portal 6.0install err

    Thanks for the quick response.

    I've attached the LocalizeTrace.archive5.log file to this post (I can only attach one file per post so will make another post to attach the wpinstalllog file.

    In terms of space, I have 4.44Gb remaining on the drive I'm attempting to install Portal on (and this is with all of the files etc that were added during the failed installation).

  4. Re: 'EJPIC0218E: The Portal archive install step failed' Portal 6.0install err

    The wpinstalllog file is attached to this post.

    Cheers,

    KJ.

  5. Re: 'EJPIC0218E: The Portal archive install step failed' Portal 6.0install err

    It seems you've either got a failed Portal install already on this server or a partially cleaned up one. It seems to be interefering the installer:

    (Sep 30, 2009 9:16:45 PM), MultiPlatform.install, com.ibm.wps.install.PortalLocationValidator, msg2, Checking Portal destination: C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere\PortalServer
    (Sep 30, 2009 9:16:51 PM), MultiPlatform.install, com.ibm.wps.install.PortalLocationValidator, msg2, Number of currently/previously installed Portals:1
    (Sep 30, 2009 9:16:51 PM), MultiPlatform.install, com.ibm.wps.install.PortalLocationValidator, msg2, Detected portal 1: {Location=C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere\PortalServer, Version=6.0.0.0.0}
    (Sep 30, 2009 9:16:51 PM), MultiPlatform.install, com.ibm.wps.install.PortalLocationValidator, msg2, Comparing C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere\PortalServer to C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere\PortalServer
    (Sep 30, 2009 9:16:51 PM), MultiPlatform.install, com.ibm.wps.install.PortalLocationValidator, msg2, PortalLocationValidator: Portal already installed at C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere\PortalServer

    I assume it then prompted you about this for cleanup? I think you might be better off here manually cleaning up the environment yourself prior to installation. Please follow these steps here:

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...ni_manual.html

    It also looks like you've got some old AppServer's there as well that you might want to clean up too. Step 2 in the above instructions takes you to the manual uninstall steps for WAS. Please try cleaning up all of that and then launching the installer again.

    ~HT

  6. Re: 'EJPIC0218E: The Portal archive install step failed' Portal 6.0install err

    Thanks for your help. I've had some issues in following the instructions in the documents to the letter (e.g. I struggled to find one of the files mentioned) but I have manually uninstalled both Portal Server and WAS. I'll try another installation tonight and update with how I get on.

    Cheers,

    KJ.

  7. Re: 'EJPIC0218E: The Portal archive install step failed' Portal 6.0install err

    After manually uninstalling the previous failed Portal installation I had and also attemping to uninstall the previous WAS installations, I tried installing both again and got the same error.

    The LocalizeTrace.archive5 log file contained the same error message as previously.

    When inspecting the wpinstalllog log file, the message regarding previous versions of Portal have disappeared but the messages about previous versions of WAS are still there. However, it appears as though WAS has been installed successfully as I can start the server, log onto the admin console, deploy applications, etc. I've attached the latest wpinstalllog file to this post.

    As a bit of additional information - I do get the Portal Server icon on my Start menu and can click on the 'Start the server' option. This results in a command window opening with the error message 'The java class not found: Press any key to continue . . .'.

    Cheers,

    KJ

  8. Re: 'EJPIC0218E: The Portal archive install step failed' Portal 6.0install err

    When you "start the server", are you talking about server1 or WebSphere_Portal? WebSphere_Portal should not exist at this point. Could you attach the corresponding SystemOut.log for that server?

    C:\ibm\WebSphere\profiles\wp_profile\logs\server1\ SystemOut.log

    Also what CD images exactly are you using?

    ~HT

  9. Re: 'EJPIC0218E: The Portal archive install step failed' Portal 6.0install err

    Start the server. This links to the C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere\PortalServer\bin\startServer.b at batch file (which is present in that location). When I select that option (I didn't expect it to work due to the failed installation but thought I'd give it a go to see what happened), I get the 'Java class not found' error message.

    With regards to the CD images, is there any specfic information that you need? I have one CD which I used to launch the actual installation program. I then have a CD with four folders in there: W-1, W-2, W-3 and W-4. Each of these folders have various artifacts in there (e.g. JAR files called 'WP_Archive'. What other information do you require?

    Cheers,

    KJ.

  10. Re: 'EJPIC0218E: The Portal archive install step failed' Portal 6.0install err

    Hmm everything I'm seeing checks out. I've seen this issue happen once before where someone tried to install Portal v60 to WAS v61. I wanted to be sure you hadn't inadvertently gotten WAS 6.1 CDs but that doesn't seem to be the case.

    You may need to open a support ticket with IBM for this. I've run out of ideas for the moment on this one I'm afraid.

    ~HT

  11. Re: 'EJPIC0218E: The Portal archive install step failed' Portal 6.0install err

    Yeah, its definately not WAS 6.1 which I'm trying to install Portal on. Its version 6.0.2.9.

    Thanks for all of your help so far. If you think of anything else then please update this thread. In the meantime, I'll explore other avenues!

  12. Re: 'EJPIC0218E: The Portal archive install step failed' Portal 6.0install err

    5 characters(or having spl charachters in it)
    3. RAM 1 GB
    4. machine name is having - like charachters.

    Please check these things before anyone start to install the portal server."+

    I can say that three of those don't apply to me (2, 3, 4). However, ulimit is a Unix command and I'm attempting to install on Windows. Two questions on this:

    1. Are the above four points true?
    2. If so, is there any Windows equivalent that I can use that does the same as ulimit?

  13. Re: 'EJPIC0218E: The Portal archive install step failed' Portal 6.0install err

    I tried one more install with these installation disks and got the same error. However, this time I noticed a pop-up that appeared when the installation program closed down. This error message indicated that there was in fact something wrong with the installation discs. It said something along the lines of:

    "JAR extraction failed for E:\W-3\commom\archive1\WP_Archive_Common1.jar

    java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere\PortalServer\config\templates\ db\cloudscape\wps_fix_id.sql (The system cannot find the path specified)"

    So, I got some discs off a colleague who had successfully installed Portal Server using them and decided to use them. I got past the stage that errored here but got a different error this time which I will post on a different thread!

+ Reply to Thread