SSO Between portal and Backend Applications - Websphere

This is a discussion on SSO Between portal and Backend Applications - Websphere ; Hello, In the scenario that I'm working I have one Portal and several Portlets. Each Portlet directly uses services from different backends. Each backend needs authentication. How can I achieve SSO in a scenario like this? Thanks in Advance...

  1. SSO Between portal and Backend Applications

    Hello,

    In the scenario that I'm working I have one Portal and several Portlets. Each Portlet directly uses services from different backends. Each backend needs authentication.

    How can I achieve SSO in a scenario like this?

    Thanks in Advance

  2. Re: SSO Between portal and Backend Applications

    That depends on the backends..
    Do the backend systems understand LTPA tokens? If they do you can make the portlets pass on the token and achieve single sign on.

    If ltpa tokens can not be used then you could fool around with the credential vault and make the portlets use that for authentication.

    But by far the most comprehensive way of doing SSO is with Tivoli access manager - but depending on the scenario that might be overkill.

  3. Re: SSO Between portal and Backend Applications

    I can pass the LTPA token to the backend, but then the backend must
    check if the LTPA token is valid or not. This means that the backend
    must contact the WebSphere Application server where the Portal resides
    to ask if the LTPA token is valid or not. Does the WebSphere AS have
    an API to check if the LTPA token is valid or not?

    Thanks

  4. Re: SSO Between portal and Backend Applications

    No, basically you have to import LTPA key in your backend application,
    provided it understands LTPA token. So when your portlet makes a
    request the validation happens between app server and backend.

    Praveen

+ Reply to Thread