What is PUMA (Portal User Management Architecture ) - Websphere

This is a discussion on What is PUMA (Portal User Management Architecture ) - Websphere ; Can anyone tell me that 1- What is PUMA (Portal User Management Architecture) ?? 2- How it is configured. Wheather it is configured after installation of Portal server or it is configured by-default during installation ?? -Arif...

  1. What is PUMA (Portal User Management Architecture )

    Can anyone tell me that

    1- What is PUMA (Portal User Management Architecture) ??

    2- How it is configured. Wheather it is configured after installation of Portal server or it is configured by-default during installation ??

    -Arif

  2. Re: What is PUMA (Portal User Management Architecture )

    Hi Arif,

    1) all about PUMA and it's scenarios in WPS, have at look at
    [PUMA Scenarios in WPS|http://extremeportal.blogspot.com/20...s-in-wps.html]

    2) PUMA is configured by default and if later on you cofigure your portal to LDAP, PUMA automatically starts pointing to LDAP.

    hope that helps..

    thanks..
    **
    *[Extreme Portal|http://ExtremePortal.blogspot.com]*

  3. Re: What is PUMA (Portal User Management Architecture )

    Hi Neeraj,

    You reply is very much helpful for me. Please tell that

    1- Are following statments true for PUMA ??

    a) No configuration is needed for PUMA. it is configured automatically when we install portal server. When we configure LDAP then PUMA's configuration for LDAP is done automatically.

    b) When we signup portal Server it ask some default atributes like last name, email etc. If we want to use any aditional attribute like TimeZone, Job Titlle etc then we have to do some PUMA configuration.

    2- If statement (b) is true then where we have to do these configuration.

    Note: I think these things are described in the link you posted me but i want to clear my concept quickly.

    Regards,

    Arif

  4. Re: What is PUMA (Portal User Management Architecture )

    Hi,

    a) true

    b)when you create a new user from portal using Profile Portlet, you have following attributes by default

    User ID:
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    First Name:
    Last Name:
    Email:
    Preferred language:

    other then these attributes, if you want to add additional attributes in the list, then just go to Configure mode the portlet and select
    attributes that you wish to appear in the list.

    in addition to above,
    when you use PUMA API, basically it makes a call to VMM (Virtual Member Manager) and VMM makes an internal call to your datastore( LDAP, AD, etc).

    In more detail, VMM first looks into a mapping file, a file in which Portal attributes are mapped to LDAP attributes and this mapping is done automatically at the time of configuring potal to LDAP.

    hope that helps..

    Many thanks...
    **
    *[Extreme Portal|http://ExtremePortal.blogspot.com]*

  5. Re: What is PUMA (Portal User Management Architecture )

    Hi,

    Thanks a lot,

    I got. Finally please tell name of the mapping file and where it is.

    Again thanks and Regards,

    Arif

  6. Re: What is PUMA (Portal User Management Architecture )

    Hi all

    How does PUMA handles the exceptions thrown by the User Repository?
    For e.g Suppose Password has expired after 30 days.

    How this error is thrown onto the screen?

    Thanks,
    Shake

  7. Re: What is PUMA (Portal User Management Architecture )

    For an expired password LDAP usually sends error code 49 to Portal and this is reported in the login portlet as a invalid credentials error and an exception will be written to SystemOut that should code LDAP error code 49 in addition to a Puma exception.

  8. Re: What is PUMA (Portal User Management Architecture )

    thanks for the wonderful information..

    **
    *[Extreme Portal|http://ExtremePortal.blogspot.com]*

  9. Re: What is PUMA (Portal User Management Architecture )

    Hi,

    Please help us out on the below login issue.

    For the purpose of login to the portal , we are using the login portlet using the PUMA service.
    The portal is being integrated with LDAP which in our case is Active Directory Server.
    We are facing issues with the exceptions /error messages being displayed to the user.The error codes are being dispalyed by the portal when seen from the backend though the front-end only throws a generic error message as "Login failed. Please enter a valid user ID and password."
    However, depending on scenarios such as user is locked, account has expired, etc there is no specific error message shown on portal.
    Can you please let us know how can we facilitate the login so that all the error specific messages are displayed which show the exact status of the user account in LDAP.

    Thanks,
    Shilpa

  10. Re: What is PUMA (Portal User Management Architecture )

    You would need a custom login portlet to display more granular error messages. If you consider implementing such a portlet, consider also whether returning more detailed errors to the users might also be a security exposure.

    For example, if the portlet returned a message saying the password was invalid, then whoever tried to access the system would inherently know that the user ID was valid. This would be OK if the user is trusted. However, if someone were trying to break into the system, then the error message would have given the hacker very useful information (i.e. the ID is valid).

    Consider that it would be more secure to require the user to contact the administrator, then have the administrator refer to the error in the SystemOut.log and correct the problem. You could always give your users the option to reset their password when they forget, but it seems overkill to return such detailed error messages to the users.

+ Reply to Thread