How many users can i store in portal provided LDAP? why Tivoli? - Websphere

This is a discussion on How many users can i store in portal provided LDAP? why Tivoli? - Websphere ; I had this question, My scenario requires people be stored in out of box portal LDAP. Why should i opt Tivoli LDAP. is websphere portal server not providing me implicit LDAP? If it is then how many users can i ...

  1. How many users can i store in portal provided LDAP? why Tivoli?

    I had this question, My scenario requires people be stored in out of box portal LDAP.

    Why should i opt Tivoli LDAP. is websphere portal server not providing me implicit LDAP? If it is then how many users can i put in the implicit LDAP.

    The books/articles/experience say go for Tivoli LDAP? why? I have to give report to my manager.

    Thank you,

  2. Re: How many users can i store in portal provided LDAP? why Tivoli?

    Hi.

    I think the reason for everyone saying "use Tivoli" is because it's IBM's software. We do as there is no pointing figures at other vendors if there is a problem.

    Having said that, IBM has a whole host of LDAPs that portal can use (depending on your version of portal and the operating system you wish to use). Click on the following link:

    [http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvie...d=swg27014996]

    This will show you what you need to know.

    All the best,
    Tony

  3. Re: How many users can i store in portal provided LDAP? why Tivoli?

    Oops. That link was for Portal 6.1.0.2. This is for the lot:

    [http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvie...d=swg27007791]

    Sorry.

    TC

  4. Re: How many users can i store in portal provided LDAP? why Tivoli?

    Hi,

    Can't just use the default storage as given inside the websphere portal 6.1. The way we create users, group etc..

    My requirement needs that -we do not use anything else but just websphereportal6.1, as the users are not more they are less than 150 users. Why should the company pay for any other LDAP, if websphere portal6.1 already has some kind of storage capabilities for identities.

    Thank you.

  5. Re: How many users can i store in portal provided LDAP? why Tivoli?

    Sure you can do that if you want... it's up to you.

    If you have a Windows environment though, why not leverage Active Directory anyway? That way you could enable single signon and your 150 users won't need to remember another password.

    If you look at the InfoCenter for Portal 6.1 you'll notice they recommend you use an external LDAP and database.
    I can guarantee though that if you experience performance issues or problems and you need to raise a PMR they will ask you to move your users to an external LDAP and move your database to an external RDBMS.

    Enjoy.

    TC

  6. Re: How many users can i store in portal provided LDAP? why Tivoli?

    Out-of-the-box Portal is not configured to any LDAP. The security is based on file registry. It's simply an XML file. You can use the file registry to store your users and groups, but its function and performance are limited. For example, it's not supported in a clustered environment.

    A lot of LDAP servers are free, including IBM Tivoli Directory Server. It is bundled with Portal 6.1. I don't believe you need to pay additional for the product. Usually a company already has a directory set up. You can certainly leverage that.

    Be careful, though, if you are going to use an LDAP not in the supported list of LDAP by Portal. For example, OpenLDAP. There could be some potential problems down the road.

    -FF