AMQP - Websphere

This is a discussion on AMQP - Websphere ; I'm about to design a large scale Enterprise Twitter application, as well as a full-service CRM and Contact Center behind with over 100+ users. What do you think of implementing custom software using AMQP (ActiveMQ/RabbitMQ) as the messaging infrastructure instead ...

  1. AMQP

    I'm about to design a large scale Enterprise Twitter application, as well as a full-service CRM and Contact Center behind with over 100+ users.

    What do you think of implementing custom software using AMQP (ActiveMQ/RabbitMQ) as the messaging infrastructure instead of MQSeries and IBM Software? Any thoughts?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: AMQP

    AMQP might be simpler and cheaper than WebSphere MQ, but it doesn't have the features, robustness, platform coverage and vendor support of WebSphere MQ. It depends on how important these factors are to your enterprise.

  3. Re: AMQP

    Tony,

    Alexis here from RabbitMQ. We have lots of customers who have built apps like this using RabbitMQ. It is certainly robust enough for such apps. We are all about stability and scale. Get in touch to talk more at info@rabbitmq.com

    Cheers

    alexis

  4. Re: AMQP

    AMQP is a wire protocol, 1.0 of spec is still being worked on - although there are many implementations (like QPid,RabbitMQ etc) that support earlier drafts. ActiveMQ will not support AMQP until 1.0 of the spec is finalized.
    In terms of using either Apache ActiveMQ or RabbitMQ - I'm biased and would say that ActiveMQ is inherently more reliable and proven - and performs extremely well in production environments, such as Sabre and many, many others. It also has the advantage of being an Apache project, with a diverse community of committers (some of whom work for IBM).
    However, MQSeries still makes up some 80% of messaging deployments, and is truly battle hardened, its main disadvantage being its commercial (if that is a disadvantage?).

    cheers,

    Rob

+ Reply to Thread