changing the priority of a message waiting on a MQ queue - Websphere

This is a discussion on changing the priority of a message waiting on a MQ queue - Websphere ; Hi, I'm a newbie when it comes to MQ. Is there a way for me to list the messages pending on a MQ queue, and then alter one of the messages priority ? i'm using MQ running on (Solaris) unix. ...

  1. changing the priority of a message waiting on a MQ queue

    Hi,

    I'm a newbie when it comes to MQ.

    Is there a way for me to list the messages pending on a MQ queue, and then alter one of the messages priority ?

    i'm using MQ running on (Solaris) unix. i've access the QM by running: runmqsc QM
    all i know is to see the queue using display qlocal
    is there a command that shows the messages themselves ?

    is there a free external tool that can achieve this ?

    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

    Cheers
    Dror

  2. Re: changing the priority of a message waiting on a MQ queue

    There is no way to alter MQ messages in-place on a queue. Tools that allow message manipulation will destructively get the message, change its MQMD or data, and then put the message back on the queue. This will result in a change in its FIFO position on the queue (if there are other messages queued). If the priority is changed, its position on the priority FIFO list on that queue will also change.

    HTH, Glenn.

  3. Re: changing the priority of a message waiting on a MQ queue

    Many thanks Glenn

    Is there a way to use the MQ_PUT_MSG exe, to place a message on a queue with a specigic priority then ?

    Thanks
    Dror

  4. Re: changing the priority of a message waiting on a MQ queue

    What is MQ_PUT_MSG? Its not one of the MQ samples or SupportPacs that I'm familiar with.

  5. Re: changing the priority of a message waiting on a MQ queue

    Hi Glenn,
    I'm referring to an application mq_put_msg_server

    it seems it does allow the placing of a text file into a MQ queue

    Usage: [ ]

    I'd really appreciate if you or anyone could advise if there's a simple way of viewing priorities (and other properties) - of messages that are currently on a queue.

    I tried looking for some commands in runmqsc but i'm not sure if thius is possible through this tool.
    Are you familiar with some tool that can show this ?

    Many Thanks
    Dror

  6. Re: changing the priority of a message waiting on a MQ queue

    runmqsc doesn't have any ability to display messages. Try WebSphere MQ Eclipse Explorer, sample program amqsbcg, or other message display & unload programs available at http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvie...=swg27007197#1

  7. Re: changing the priority of a message waiting on a MQ queue

    Fantastic resource !

    Many Thanks Glenn

  8. Re: changing the priority of a message waiting on a MQ queue

    There is also a new IBM MQ support page that goes into more detail on various methods of viewing MQ messages:

    "MQ V7: How to view the message properties and, or RFH2 header from a message"
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvie...id=swg27017014

    HTH, Glenn

+ Reply to Thread