Websphere MQ Channel configuration - Websphere

This is a discussion on Websphere MQ Channel configuration - Websphere ; Two questions:- Does IBM Websphere MQ only support port nos 1414 and 1415? I assume the answer is no and I know that the default port no. is 1414. Just need confirmation of this. Is it possible to have more ...

  1. Websphere MQ Channel configuration

    Two questions:-

    Does IBM Websphere MQ only support port nos 1414 and 1415? I assume the answer is no and I know that the default port no. is 1414. Just need confirmation of this.

    Is it possible to have more than one channel configured within the one queue manager using the same port no. For example:- channel 1.2.3.4 using port no. 1414 and channel 5.6.7.8 using port no. 1414. As long as the ip addresses to the different queue managers are different it doesn't matter what the port no is and as long as there are no other applications on the queue manager server using these ports?

  2. Re: Websphere MQ Channel configuration

    Is it possible to have more than one channel configured within the one queue manager using the same port no. For example:- channel 1.2.3.4 using port no. 1414 and channel 5.6.7.8 using port no. 1414. As long as the ip addresses to the different queue managers are different it doesn't matter what the port no is and as long as there are no other applications on the queue manager server using these ports?

    Terminology? "1.2.3.4" is not a channel, its an IP address. In MQ channel definitions (sender, clusrcvr, clntconn types etc.), the CONNAME parameter should include a host name, not an IP address. IP addresses are less portable than host names.

    Not sure I fully understand your question.

    HTH, Glenn.

  3. Re: Websphere MQ Channel configuration

    Hi there, our MQ channel names have the relevant channel name but the connection name within properties are configured to point to ip addresses and port nos. ie. 1.2.3.4(1415). My question is can we have more than channel connection name configured to point to a different ip address but same port no. ie 5.6.7.8(1415)? This is all within the one queue manager of course.

    I hope this makes more sense?

    Thank you

  4. Re: Websphere MQ Channel configuration

    There is no restriction on what names and ports can be configured in a set of channel definitions on a queue manager. They just need to be resolveable as valid host names, ip addresses and port numbers when MQ calls TCP/IP services to establish a socket connection to start a channel instance.

    MQ does not do any cross-checking of consistency or conflicts in CONNAME settings across a set of channel definitions. Channels are independent.

    The same port number can be used, provided the queue managers / listeners are running on a separate TCP/IP images (ie. host operating systems).

    You could have 1000 queue managers / listeners running on 1000 different hosts and they could all use port 1414, and that is how it is normally done in practice.

    HTH, Glenn.

+ Reply to Thread