To optimize connection pool settings - Websphere

This is a discussion on To optimize connection pool settings - Websphere ; Hello, One of the web applications (JSF/Facelets/SpringWebFlow/Hibernate) that we maintain is very chatty on sql queries and has a very slow performance. It also has a history of OOMs (out of memory). Official verdict: Unfortunately we do not have access ...

  1. To optimize connection pool settings

    Hello,

    One of the web applications (JSF/Facelets/SpringWebFlow/Hibernate) that we maintain is very chatty on sql queries and has a very slow performance. It also has a history of OOMs (out of memory).
    Official verdict:

    Unfortunately we do not have access to the part of the code where database calls are, it comes as third party library, however there is very little chance that there are potential memory leaks. It's been currently reviewed by third party anyway.

    I run IBM Thread (attached) ad Heap (JPGs are attached) Analysers on dump files from OOMs and I got the feeeling that major bottleneck is communiation between app server and database. They are not on the same box in our case but netwrok wise connection speed is OK.

    What I would like to try on our side is to adjust connection poool settings on WebSphere because they seem to be low for such a chatty application.
    Max connections:10, minimum:1, timeout:180 (complete screenshot is attached)
    The reason I believe it is low because even JIRA (which is not as busy as this other app) has it set to 20.

    Can somebody recommend how to optimize connection pool settings? I know simple increase of max connections and timeout is not a remedy, but what is the "golden" number?

    Thanks,
    Sabina

  2. Re: To optimize connection pool settings

    I found this on IBM's website:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...atobjtune.html

    {code}You can use the Tivoli Performance Viewer to find the optimal number of connections in a pool. If the number of concurrent waiters is greater than 0, but the CPU load is not close to 100%, consider increasing the connection pool size. If the Percent Used value is consistently low under normal workload, consider decreasing the number of connections in the pool.{code}

    Is this the only way?

  3. Re: To optimize connection pool settings

    yes. It depends on your application, your hardware and your amount of users
    accessing your application.
    So there is no Golden Number, use the appoach from the InfoCenter.

    Henk

  4. Re: To optimize connection pool settings

    If you can then it is worth running the TPV and collecting some stats on your connection pools, assuming you do not have another monitor that you can use.

    Is there a firewall between your app servers and the DB? If so this could be causing you issues if the firewall is cropping inactive connections - in which case it is worth setting min connections to 0.

    The other option is to put on a jdbc trace and put it through the DB connection pool analyser avilable from alphaworks (or downloadable in the IBM support assistant workbench).

    I am going through this very exercise at the moment, trying to tune the DB conneciton pool settings so know it can be a challenge!

    John

    http://www.janglestrategies.co.uk

  5. Re: To optimize connection pool settings

    Thanks Janglestrategies,

    Company is IBM's customer and we run WS on Win2003 server.
    Which other tool you can recommend?

    Sabina

+ Reply to Thread