WAS 6.1 DB2 Datasource delay - Websphere

This is a discussion on WAS 6.1 DB2 Datasource delay - Websphere ; Hi, When the pool size is 0 and the first connection is going to be created we are having a delay of 10-15 seconds. This delay happens every time when the pool is empty. But when the first connection is ...

  1. WAS 6.1 DB2 Datasource delay

    Hi,

    When the pool size is 0 and the first connection is going to be created we are having a delay of 10-15 seconds. This delay happens every time when the pool is empty. But when the first connection is created every next one will be created with a lightning speed. We wonder to know what is the reason of that delay. Is it a reauthentication?

    WAS 6.1 and DB2 are installed on the separated stations. We are using DB2 Toolkit (not native) JDBC provider. The authentication of datasource is taking place within the WAS 6.1.

    The code snippet of getting the connection is described below:

    ds = (DataSource) ctx.lookup(DB2_JNDI_LOOKUP);
    connection = ds.getConnection();

    If you need more information please let me know.

    I apreciate your help,

    Thanks in advance,

    Leo

  2. Re: WAS 6.1 DB2 Datasource delay

    Were you able to troubleshoot this problem and determine the root cause?

  3. Re: WAS 6.1 DB2 Datasource delay

    I am able to debug the application using NetBeans 6.7 integrated with the WebSphere 6.1.

    Delay appears during the attempt to get the connection (getConnection).

  4. Re: WAS 6.1 DB2 Datasource delay

    Please, this is very important and urgent. Any ideas???

  5. Re: WAS 6.1 DB2 Datasource delay

    Are you connecting to DB2 on AS/400 ?

    - Sunit

    wrote in message
    news:110039019.1255769000763.JavaMail.wassrvr@ltsg was009.sby.ibm.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > When the pool size is 0 and the first connection is going to be created we
    > are having a delay of 10-15 seconds. This delay happens every time when
    > the pool is empty. But when the first connection is created every next one
    > will be created with a lightning speed. We wonder to know what is the
    > reason of that delay. Is it a reauthentication?
    >
    > WAS 6.1 and DB2 are installed on the separated stations. We are using DB2
    > Toolkit (not native) JDBC provider. The authentication of datasource is
    > taking place within the WAS 6.1.
    >
    > The code snippet of getting the connection is described below:
    >
    > InitialContext ctx = new InitialContext();
    > ds = (DataSource) ctx.lookup(DB2_JNDI_LOOKUP);
    > connection = ds.getConnection();
    >
    > If you need more information please let me know.
    >
    > I apreciate your help,
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Leo

  6. Re: WAS 6.1 DB2 Datasource delay

    I'll doubt many things.... network latency, db2 performance, WAS performance..... btw, is your data-source connecting over SSL ?? and its a type 2 OR type 4 driver ??

    Also, can you try using native driver once, so that we can rule out all the above problems I mentioned.

    Thanks
    Akash

  7. Re: WAS 6.1 DB2 Datasource delay

    hi,

    please could you tell me where can i get a plugin which integrates Netbeans 6.7.x to IBM WebSphere 6.1 AS ??

    i'm looking for it (NB 6.7.x plugin) a couple of days and found no one so far...

    thanks in advance for any clarification.

    best regards,
    marcio

  8. Re: WAS 6.1 DB2 Datasource delay

    Akash,

    Thank you for your response. I am sorry for a delay.

    1) I'm sure that it is not related with a network latency, because it happens only when the number of connections in the pool is 0.
    2) Also want to add that DB2 performance is good.
    3) No, if I am right, it is not connected via SSL.
    4) I am using "DB2 UDB for iSeries (Toolbox)".

    As I know, the native driver can be used only if the database and the application server are installed at the same machine, right?

  9. Re: WAS 6.1 DB2 Datasource delay

    marciopetry,

    You don't need any plugin to download. You just need to add a WAS 6.1 server in the NetBeans 6.7 and then select in the properties of you application to run on WAS 6.1.

  10. Re: WAS 6.1 DB2 Datasource delay

    Levon, thanks for your reply.

    Are you quite sure there is native support in NetBean 6.7.x for IBM WebSphere AS 6.1 integration (building, assembly and deploying J2EE apps through it) ??

    I remember I already did it in a recent past developing with NB 6.1 and IBM WAS 6.1.... but it's driving me crazy on NB 6.7.x because, frankly, I can't see any clue about how it support WAS integration -- I've even found NB 6.7.x official documentation on how to bind/integrate JBossAS, Tomcat (all flavors), Sun Glassfish V1, V2, V3 Prelude and even Oracle Weblogic but none on IBM WebSphere Application Servers.

    Quite frustrating, really. That's why I was looking for some kinda plugin, well...

    Please, if you know where I'm missing the point here let me know once more. Anyway, thanks again for your attention to my question.

    Kindly regards.
    marcio

  11. Re: WAS 6.1 DB2 Datasource delay

    Marcio,

    Sorry for providing wrong information.

    I was using NetBeans 6.1 with Websphere 6.1 without any issues. And I was surprised that 6.7 is not supporting WAS 6.1 that's why I answered automatically.

    Please find information here: http://old.nabble.com/-67cat---j2ee-...d24073563.html

    I hope this will help.

    Regards,
    Levon