DR solution for WAS cluster environment - Websphere

This is a discussion on DR solution for WAS cluster environment - Websphere ; Hi guys, I'm trying to find a solution to setup DR site for our WAS cluster environment. Is there any other option can be implemented than backup/restore? Our objective is to have PROD and DR sites to be aware of ...

  1. DR solution for WAS cluster environment

    Hi guys,

    I'm trying to find a solution to setup DR site for our WAS cluster environment.

    Is there any other option can be implemented than backup/restore?

    Our objective is to have PROD and DR sites to be aware of each other and sync should
    happen when necessary without depending on backup/restore option.

    I know there're alot of 3party software can do this job, but i'd like to find out first if it can be achieved within websphere application server product itself.

    Waiting for your suggestions.

  2. Re: DR solution for WAS cluster environment

    Either you can take a backup and restore of the profile or just the config. The difference between them is one takes backup of the whole profile and another just the config. Both of them requires WAS to be installed first, also want to make sure the hostnames is same on which you are restoring. If not, there is a utility to change hostname also.

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...eprofiles.html

    manageprofiles(.bat)(.sh) -backupProfile
    manageprofiles(.bat)(.sh) -restoreProfile

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...kupconfig.html

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...oreconfig.html

    Hope this helps.

    Anant

  3. Re: DR solution for WAS cluster environment

    As I mentioned in the [other thread|http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/fo...readID=278902] you started on this it sounds like you are looking for ways for your backup servers to take over automatically.

    To me that is a setup that includes the primary AND backup servers in the same cluster and then using the WebSphere web server plugin to indicate that the backup servers are just that, backup servers. You can find the syntax of the plugin-cfg.xml file, including the syntax here:
    [http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...lugincfg.html]

    Of course the above is more about HA than DR. To me DR is more "what if we lose this entire machine and there is no quick way to get it back". In that scenario I think the AdminTask.exportProfile(..) and AdminTask.importProfile(..) commands also described in the [other thread|http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/fo...readID=278902] are what you are looking for.

    The backup/restore options of the profile management tool do not adjust the hostname when restoring the profile. This means the profile can really only be restored on a machine that uses the same hostname. If this is implemented with something from the OS that should be fine but WebSphere can't do it completely "on it's own".

+ Reply to Thread