MDB Performance in WAS 5 - Websphere

This is a discussion on MDB Performance in WAS 5 - Websphere ; Hi, WAS version 5 on windows2003 server. We have an appserver with 2 MDBs - each MDB reading from a diffrent queue. The MDBs use MQ 5.3 as external JMS provider. Both MDBs are actively processing messages (queued messages grows ...

  1. MDB Performance in WAS 5

    Hi,

    WAS version 5 on windows2003 server.

    We have an appserver with 2 MDBs - each MDB reading from a diffrent queue. The MDBs use MQ 5.3 as external JMS provider. Both MDBs are actively processing messages (queued messages grows upto 8000 messages in each MDB Queue). *We do notice that the rate at which the messages are picked-up are 2 times faster when we stop one of the listners. Any explanations for this behaviour.* We are of the impression the two MDBS listners are seprate threads and as such they should read from their associated queues at the same speed irrespective of the load on the other.

    The two MDBS are set with MAX SEESIONS=4, MAX MESSAGES=1, MAX RETRIES= 3. They both use same QUEUE CONNECTION FACTORY - but the queues are different. The Connection POOL fro QUEUE CONNECTION FACTORY is 40. The theradpool for MessageListners are 40.

    Thanks

    Harikumar

  2. Re: MDB Performance in WAS 5

    Not sure about this, you're using very old infrastructure there, WAS 7
    and MQ 7 are current, WAS 5 and MQ 5.3 are not even supported any
    more.

    The settings for your listener appear sensible, I wonder if you might
    benefit from trying different values for the maximum sessions, that's
    about all.

    However, you might find that using different connection factories
    might ease the problem, since it might be a restriction in the MQ
    server connection/client connection channel. Use a different channel
    for your two connection factories. You could also try tuning the MQ
    configuration a little.
    You could set the equivalent of the qm.ini settings
    TCP:
    KeepAlive=YES
    Channels:
    MaxChannels=200
    MaxActiveChannels=200
    PipeLineLength=2
    MQIBindType=FASTPATH

    amqmdain is the command on Windows to try to make similar settings
    when that platform doesn't have a qm.ini file.
    Check how the MQ server is performing when you're testing this. Does
    it seem to be I/O bound? CPU bound? How many network connections is
    it having to service concurrently? (Windows imposes limits on this,
    and has some strange features to do with connection timeouts that can
    give you grief)

    There's a good article that might help here: -
    ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/...idual/mp01.pdf

    Peter Bennett
    Distributed Systems Professional Services.
    www.dsps.net
    www.middleware-dsps.blogspot.com

    On Oct 15, 7:20*am, harikumar wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > WAS version 5 on windows2003 server.
    >
    > We have an appserver with 2 MDBs - each MDB reading from a diffrent queue.. The MDBs use MQ 5.3 as external JMS provider. Both MDBs are actively processing messages (queued messages grows upto 8000 messages in each MDB Queue). **We do notice that the rate at which the messages are picked-up are 2times faster when we stop *one of the listners. Any explanations for this behaviour.* We are of the impression the two MDBS listners are seprate threads and as such they should read from their associated queues at the samespeed irrespective of the load on the other.
    >
    > The two MDBS are set with MAX SEESIONS=4, MAX MESSAGES=1, MAX RETRIES= 3. They both use same QUEUE CONNECTION FACTORY - but the queues are different. The Connection POOL fro QUEUE CONNECTION FACTORY is 40. The theradpool for MessageListners are 40.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Harikumar

  3. Re: MDB Performance in WAS 5

    PS.

    Thinking about it, I don't think that PipeLineLength=2 is
    available to you with MQ 5.x

    Pete.

+ Reply to Thread