WebSphere 7 and Connection Pooling - Websphere

This is a discussion on WebSphere 7 and Connection Pooling - Websphere ; A question regarding the connection pooling feature of WebSphere 7. When we have a scenario where in the database goes down for some reason (network failure, database explicitly shutdown..), do we have to re-start the application server so that the ...

  1. WebSphere 7 and Connection Pooling

    A question regarding the connection pooling feature of WebSphere 7.

    When we have a scenario where in the database goes down for some reason (network failure, database explicitly shutdown..), do we have to re-start the application server so that the applications continue to work fine? Or is it that WAS 7 would ensure a "plug-n-play" model where in applications accessing the database would continue to work fine without a server restart after the database is brought up? My understanding is that we would have to restart the application server when the database goes down - please correct me if otherwise.

  2. Re: WebSphere 7 and Connection Pooling

    Hi.

    There is no need to restart the app server. The failed connection will be removed from the pool, and the pool possibly purged following the failure. I couldn't find any decent generic information on this but the general approach and most of the settings are the same as for JMS connection pools which are well described in this article:

    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/we...itheridge.html

    Cheers, Matt.

  3. Re: WebSphere 7 and Connection Pooling

    If the applications within your application server are well written,
    then there is no need to restart the application server.

    Depends on how the application(s) handle the stale connection
    exception that should get thrown when connection to the database is
    interrupted.
    I've known some applications that become unstable and leaky when this
    happens. The application server itself provides the infrastructure to
    recover automatically, but you should make sure that the data access
    components in your application have been well written, with all the
    usual try, catch, finally work done to release connections and to
    catch the stale connection exception.

    Your mileage may vary.

    Pete Bennett
    Distributed Systems Professional Services
    www.dsps.net
    www.middleware-dsps.blogspot.com

    On Oct 14, 8:52*am, mamwl1 wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > There is no need to restart the app server. The failed connection will beremoved from the pool, and the pool possibly purged following the failure.I couldn't find any decent generic information on this but the general approach and most of the settings are the same as for JMS connection pools which are well described in this article:
    >
    > http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/we...harticles/0709...
    >
    > Cheers, Matt.

+ Reply to Thread