Can scope be changed - for instance from cell to node - Websphere

This is a discussion on Can scope be changed - for instance from cell to node - Websphere ; Is it possible to change the scope of for instance a JDBC provider from node to cell, or is the only way to do it by delete and recreate in the correct scope? My guess is that I cannot change ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Can scope be changed - for instance from cell to node

  1. Can scope be changed - for instance from cell to node

    Is it possible to change the scope of for instance a JDBC provider from node to cell, or is the only way to do it by delete and recreate in the correct scope?

    My guess is that I cannot change it, since the Admin Console does not seem to have an option for doing so.

    Rune

  2. Re: Can scope be changed - for instance from cell to node

    Yes, you have to delete and recreate it again.

    Anant

  3. Re: Can scope be changed - for instance from cell to node

    Doh!

    But, tnx :-)

    R.

  4. Re: Can scope be changed - for instance from cell to node

    backupConfig first.
    Maybe stop the deployment manager second.
    I don't recommend this, but I do wonder if it's possible (but very
    dangerous) to edit the resources.xml and security.xml files from the
    cell scope, and paste those entries into the relevant scope in the
    config directory structure. Perhaps then start the deployment
    manager, sync the nodes and see how it goes.
    Just a thought.
    I do not recommend editing the XML files, but curiosity would get the
    better of me with a test system to do this....
    In fact, I have such a test system, with some database resources
    rather sub-optimally defined at cell scope, I think I'll attempt to
    move them into cluster scop.
    If it goes well, I'll let you know.

    Pete.


    On Oct 14, 7:53*am, RuneH wrote:
    > Doh!
    >
    > But, tnx :-)
    >
    > R.



  5. Re: Can scope be changed - for instance from cell to node

    Right,

    Once again, I don't suggest that you ever edit the XML configuration
    files directly. It should always be done through wsadmin or the
    administrative console.

    I didn't copy the definitions to node level, I wanted them at cluster
    level, but either way, the principle remains.

    Did a quick test of a network deployment cell. Shut down the node
    agents and the deployment manager.
    Backed up the configuration.
    Edited the dmgr/config/cells//resources.xml file
    Copied the resources.JDBC:JDBCProvider headings into each cluster's
    resources.xml file (config/cells//clusters//
    resources.xml) - remembering to copy in the resources.JDBC:JDBCProvider> end of stanza in as well.
    I then copied the JDBC resources that should have been defined at
    cluster scope in the first place into each cluster. Different ones
    for connection pool resources and XA (two phase commit) resources.
    Once I was certain that all the resources were in their right places,
    including their closing lines, I removed them from the
    config/cells//resources.xml file.
    Once I'd done all that. I started the deployment manager, which
    didn't seem to complain about any of the XML.
    I called syncNode.sh on each of the
    managed nodes, then started those nodes.
    Once that had completed, I was able to test the datasources still
    worked, using a script rather similar to this one: -

    foreach ds [ $AdminConfig list DataSource ] {
    if { [ string match "TEST" [ string range ${ds} 0 3 ] ] } {
    puts -nonewline "Testing [ lindex [ split ${ds} ( ] 0 ] "
    if { [ catch {set result [ $AdminControl testConnection $
    {ds} ] } yFailed] } {
    puts " *** ERROR in dsTest : $yFailed"
    } else {
    puts "${result}"
    }
    }
    }

    Testing TEST1_ORA_XXX WASX7217I: Connection to provided datasource was
    successful.

    So I started the applications within the cell, and the all seemed to
    work just fine.
    Pleased I finally got around to doing this, been meaning to for a
    while.

    Hope that helps, but, as I suggest, don't do this at home, and never
    do this at work.

    Used to be roughly how things were copied about back in the XMLExport
    and XMLImport days of earlier WebSphere versions though.

    Pete Bennett
    Distributed Systems Professional Services Ltd.
    www.dsps.net
    www.middleware-dsps.blogspot.com


    On Oct 14, 8:58*am, DSPS wrote:
    > backupConfig first.
    > Maybe stop the deployment manager second.
    > I don't recommend this, but I do wonder if it's possible (but very
    > dangerous) to edit the resources.xml and security.xml files from the
    > cell scope, and paste those entries into the relevant scope in the
    > config directory structure. *Perhaps then start the deployment
    > manager, sync the nodes and see how it goes.
    > Just a thought.
    > I do not recommend editing the XML files, but curiosity would get the
    > better of me with a test system to do this....
    > In fact, I have such a test system, with some database resources
    > rather sub-optimally defined at cell scope, I think I'll attempt to
    > move them into cluster scop.
    > If it goes well, I'll let you know.
    >
    > Pete.
    >
    > On Oct 14, 7:53*am, RuneH wrote:
    >
    > > Doh!

    >
    > > But, tnx :-)

    >
    > > R.



+ Reply to Thread