IBM WAS ND version 7 HA solutions - Websphere

This is a discussion on IBM WAS ND version 7 HA solutions - Websphere ; Hi guys, What would be the best way to configure WAS ND 7 running on windows 2008 server in Active/Passive mode? Our environment is as follows: We have one ND machine and two machines running each one application server(vertical cluster). ...

  1. IBM WAS ND version 7 HA solutions

    Hi guys,

    What would be the best way to configure WAS ND 7 running on windows 2008 server in Active/Passive mode?
    Our environment is as follows:
    We have one ND machine and two machines running each one application server(vertical cluster).
    Backup and restore with backupConfig.bat have been tested but it's not best approach we're looking for since it needs to have same IP/name on restore as documentation says.
    Our objectives are to have ND on active/passive mode, and ensure ND primary and DR sites are in sync and can be easily failover and failback and do same ND activities without changing ip/hostname.

    Any suggestions?

  2. Re: IBM WAS ND version 7 HA solutions

    HI,mao09,

    you need a 3party HA software such as HACMP or veritas or sun cluster to Active/Passive your ND.

    Simon Lai

  3. Re: IBM WAS ND version 7 HA solutions

    There might be an easier solution if you are running a web server with the WebSphere plugin in front of your clusters.

    The plugin configuration can indicate that some servers in the cluster are "backup" servers. This means that they would only be used if all the "primary" servers are unreachable.

    If you were to add servers from your backup machines as cluster members and indicate they are "backup" servers this might accomplish what you want.

    The issue at that point becomes HA of the web servers and Deployment Manager.

    There is also a 'AdminTask.exportProfile(..)' command in wsadmin that you should look into. It extracts a profile without host information. I'm not sure if it would work as you want in an ND environment. Generally I've seen it used more with standalone environments like testing servers but it could.

    The problem would be, if you backup only one profile at a time how would the restored DM profile know where the restored node profiles are? Hopefully it might be as easy as retoring all the exported profiles on new machines and adjusting the hostnames linked to the node definitions to get you up and running. You would probably also want to do a 'synchNode' from each node to make sure everything is in synch before starting stuff up.

    I don't like to say "you should do this" because HA is very dependent on available hardware, app criticality, etc but maybe these are other options to consider.

    Good Luck,
    Stuart Smith
    IBM Certified Advanced System Administrator WAS ND 6.1
    Administration Lead
    Web Age Solutions
    [www.webagesolutions.com]

  4. Re: IBM WAS ND version 7 HA solutions

    Thanks guys for your replies.
    I have two questions:

    1.Is there any record on Window system files for WAS ND even if i choose not to create service for dmgr profile?

    2.Would you share any doc or URL provides steps on how to implement DR site for existing WAS cluster?

  5. Re: IBM WAS ND version 7 HA solutions

    When not running as a service I don't believe there is any info in Windows system files. Only thing is probably record of installing the software itself but not the profiles.

    Only thing comprehensive I've seen about DR is at IBM Impact conferences. Don't know if those presentations are available to download.

    Since all DR requirements are different I don't know if IBM will have much generic info without working with you directly. You will probably find some on HA but this is different than DR.

    Thanks,
    Stuart

  6. Re: IBM WAS ND version 7 HA solutions

    In case of MSCS is configured on two ND machines and virtual hostname is given as abcCluster.com.
    One partition Drive (E:\)is mounted on one ND machines at the time (Active/Passive).
    ND is installed and dmgr profile is created on E drive; during dmgr profile creation, wherever host name is mentioned, it will be changed to abcCluster.com (virtual name).
    Application server profiles from two WAS servers are federated to dmgr profile running on abcCluster.com (active ND machine is where E drive is mounted at this time, so, it can be ND machine A or B)

    1.So, is there any OS level i should be concerned on above scenario when MSCS failover happened and ND is doing
    some sync on its cluster environment? cause whatever dmgr is doing is saved on E drive which is from shared
    storage, and as you said there's not record on Wins system files if no service is created for dmgr profile.

    2. For DR setup for above environment, will it be sufficient to implement backup/restore for dmgr profile only?

+ Reply to Thread