Alternative to Execute thread Qs in Websphere 6.1 - Websphere

This is a discussion on Alternative to Execute thread Qs in Websphere 6.1 - Websphere ; Hi All, We are in the process of migrating from WebLogic 8.1 to WAS 6.1. We have few application in WebLogic that use custom execute threads so that trafic is moved to user defined thread instead of default thread pool. ...

  1. Alternative to Execute thread Qs in Websphere 6.1

    Hi All,
    We are in the process of migrating from WebLogic 8.1 to WAS 6.1. We have few application in WebLogic that use custom execute threads so that trafic is moved to user defined thread instead of default thread pool. This is done in weblogic using dispatch-policy tag under weblogic.xml.

    I appreciate if someone could help me understand the alternative of doing same thing in WebSphere 6.1.

    I was going thru some site searching and came across Work Manager that does the same thing which is new to me but does similar job.

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: Alternative to Execute thread Qs in Websphere 6.1

    As far as I know, there is no way to instruct the web container to use a custom thread pool. However, once the servlet has control, you can use the asynchbeans or commonj APIs to create asynchronous work, as you suggested.

  3. Re: Alternative to Execute thread Qs in Websphere 6.1

    Thanks Brett for you response. We are not so sure how much efforts are there to change to work manager and after speaking to developer they said even they are not aware of this and changes that needs to be done as far as coding is concerned.

    I got a response for PMR as you said there is no way of custom execute thread in WebSphere. Though they recommended few things like use SOAP over JMS, since we are deploying Web Service based application, and that way each Listner port can have their own thread pool. That means we need to change complete architecture of application.

    Lastly, the option stands out is creating a separate JVM for each application even though this is quite cumbersome.

    Please, let me know your thoughts.

    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread