ibm-web-bnd.xmi & ibm-web-ext.xmi - Websphere

This is a discussion on ibm-web-bnd.xmi & ibm-web-ext.xmi - Websphere ; What are these two files (ibm-web-bnd.xmi & ibm-web-ext.xmi) for? I am very new to Portlets and WebSphere Portal, so feel free to explain it to me as if I were a 2nd grader. The primary reason I even noticed that ...

  1. ibm-web-bnd.xmi & ibm-web-ext.xmi

    What are these two files (ibm-web-bnd.xmi & ibm-web-ext.xmi) for? I am very new to Portlets and WebSphere Portal, so feel free to explain it to me as if I were a 2nd grader.

    The primary reason I even noticed that these two files exist is because I received the error below, so I searched for the "contextpoolglobal" keyword in my code, and found the string within the ibm-web-bnd.xmi file.

    [8/5/09 15:45:55:870 CDT] 0000004d Helpers W NMSV0610I: A NamingException is being thrown from a javax.naming.Context implementation. Details follow:
    Context implementation: com.ibm.ws.naming.java.javaURLContextRoot
    Context method: lookup(Name)
    Context name: java:
    Target name: comp/env/pool/contextpoolglobal
    Other data: ""
    Exception stack trace: com.ibm.websphere.naming.CannotInstantiateObjectEx ception: Exception occurred while the JNDI NamingManager was processing a javax.naming.Reference object. Root exception is javax.naming.NamingException: Failed to lookup the object configured with a null or empty name

    Any help on the error or explanation of the 2 files would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Sean

  2. Re: ibm-web-bnd.xmi & ibm-web-ext.xmi

    They are IBM extensions to J2EE for application deployment. You can find more info from the following WAS InfoCenter link
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce..._bindings.html

    -FF

  3. Re: ibm-web-bnd.xmi & ibm-web-ext.xmi

    Thanks for the info fang.

    After reading that doc, I understand the files a little better now.

    I think my error has to do with the fact that the IDs for my resRefBindings in my ibm-web-bnd.xmi and do not match up properly with my web.xml's generated resource-ref out on the server.

    Somehow the IDs within my web.xml are being generated for the resource-refs (don't understand this, but I can look at it later)

    **************** ORIGINAL web.xml

    pool/contextpoolglobal
    com.ibm.websphere.asynchbeans.pool.ObjectPoolManag er
    Container
    Shareable

    ************************** GENERATED web.xml on server

    pool/contextpoolglobal
    com.ibm.websphere.asynchbeans.pool.ObjectPoolManag er
    Container
    Shareable

    ********************************* ORIGINAL ibm-web-bnd.xmi

    ********************************* GENERATED ibm-web-bnd.xmi

    I have taken over this code base, and I am new to Portals, so that double-wammy is not helping my cause here.

    Do you think I may be on to something with the IDs being off of the generated files?

    Thanks,
    Sean

  4. Re: ibm-web-bnd.xmi & ibm-web-ext.xmi

    Hi Sean,

    Yes, I think you've found the answer. Your original/packaged web.xml in the .WAR needs to include the id attribute in the tag, and this id needs to be consistent with the id used in the ibm-web-bnd.xmi/ibm-web-ext.xmi files.

    For example in web.xml:

    and in ibm-web-bnd.xmi:

+ Reply to Thread