Same portlet, different view depending on department. - Websphere

This is a discussion on Same portlet, different view depending on department. - Websphere ; I am running WebSphere Portal version 6.1.0.1. I have a portlet that is to be viewed by employees of every department in a company. This portlet displays department-specific content. This content is not static. Rather than make a copy of ...

  1. Same portlet, different view depending on department.

    I am running WebSphere Portal version 6.1.0.1. I have a portlet that is to be viewed by employees of every department in a company. This portlet displays department-specific content. This content is not static. Rather than make a copy of the portlet for every department, I only want to create dynamic views since they all share the same business logic. Portal gurus, what is the best way to do this?

  2. Re: Same portlet, different view depending on department.

    The Personalization visibility rules may be a good fit for this, if the users have an attribute to tell what dept a user belongs to.

    -FF

  3. Re: Same portlet, different view depending on department.

    ok, so there are a few concerns to address here. My initial reaction is that you need to revisit your design and divide the business logic into another layer, perhaps a java project, that can be easily shared among your departmental portlets. Once you do that, have a look at these tutorials. The first one addresses portal's dynamic UI.

    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/we...&S_CMP=GENSITE
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/vi...arch_by=wpv6pm

  4. Re: Same portlet, different view depending on department.

    Thanks guys. I read through those links and have given this some thought. I am going to use the portlet's edit mode to allow an administrator to control what gets displayed on each department's portlet. However, this raises three more questions.

    1. Can I assign permissions to edit mode only to administrators? I only want the departments to view the portlet, not edit it.
    2. Once I do edit the portlet, how do I make the changes specific to that page? Can portlet preferences solve this?
    3. How do I make the changes persistent? Do I need an external database or does WebSphere support another solution?

  5. Re: Same portlet, different view depending on department.

    I would suggest to use edit_defaults mode of portlet and give rights to admin for this mode.
    For Eample:-
    If admin of Department A, sets any data in this mode for Portlet A, that data will be same for all the users belonging to Department A, provided that proper access rights is assigned, so that only users belonging to department A will see Portlet A only.

    scenario one:-
    a)say you have Finance Departemnt.
    b)you will create Finance Page, give access rights so that only finance department users will access this page.
    c)put a portlet on Finance Page. Give access rights.
    d)Admin will go to edit_default of this portlet, and will set data as per finance department.
    e) Normal user will only have access to view mode and data as per their department.

    scenario two:-
    a)say you have Sports Departemnt.
    b)you will create Sports Page, give access rights so that only sports department users will access this page.
    c)put a portlet on Sports Page.
    d)Admin will go to edit_default of this portlet, and will set data as per sports department.
    e) Normal user will only have access to view mode and data as per their department

    and so on for other departments....

    hope that helps..
    **
    *http://ExtremePortal.blogspot.com*

  6. Re: Same portlet, different view depending on department.

    sorry, forgot to mention...
    data set by admin in edit_defaults mode is storing into portlet preferences.

    and since it is edit_defaults mode, this preference data will be shared across all the users for that portlet instance on that page.

    thanks..
    **
    *http://ExtremePortal.blogspot.com*

  7. Re: Same portlet, different view depending on department.

    Thanks Neeraj, you have explained exactly what I am planning. Are portlet preferences persistent? As in, if I were to have to restart the server, will the preferences remain?

  8. Re: Same portlet, different view depending on department.

    yup..
    The most valuable part is that portlet preference is persisted, so it will be available across server restarts.

    thanks..
    **
    *http://ExtremePortal.blogspot.com*

  9. Re: Same portlet, different view depending on department.

    Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread