IBM HTTP Server silent installation problem - Websphere

This is a discussion on IBM HTTP Server silent installation problem - Websphere ; Good day, everybody! I'm trying to install a http server on my redhat box on System z. There is a strange silense after executing the "/W/IHS/install -options "responsefile.txt" -silent" command. Command ends without any message, and I can't find any ...

  1. IBM HTTP Server silent installation problem

    Good day, everybody!
    I'm trying to install a http server on my redhat box on System z.
    There is a strange silense after executing the "/W/IHS/install -options "responsefile.txt" -silent" command.
    Command ends without any message, and I can't find any logs...

    Distributives I use are:
    (C1FZ3ML) IBM WebSphere Application Server V7.0 Supplements (1 of 2) for Linux on System z 64 bit Multilingual (IBM HTTP Server, Web Server Plug-ins, Update Installer, Application Client)
    (C1FZ4ML) IBM WebSphere Application Server V7.0 Supplements (2 of 2) for Linux on System z 64-it, Multilingual (IBM HTTP Server, Web Server Plug-ins, Migration Tool)

    Tell me please how to know what is incorrect?
    Thank you

  2. Re: IBM HTTP Server silent installation problem

    Also there are no results in /opt/IBM/WebSphere

  3. Re: IBM HTTP Server silent installation problem

    sbugs@gubkin.ru wrote:
    > Good day, everybody!
    > I'm trying to install a http server on my redhat box on System z.
    > There is a strange silense after executing the "/W/IHS/install -options "responsefile.txt" -silent" command.
    > Command ends without any message, and I can't find any logs...
    >
    > Distributives I use are:
    > (C1FZ3ML) IBM WebSphere Application Server V7.0 Supplements (1 of 2) for Linux on System z 64 bit Multilingual (IBM HTTP Server, Web Server Plug-ins, Update Installer, Application Client)
    > (C1FZ4ML) IBM WebSphere Application Server V7.0 Supplements (2 of 2) for Linux on System z 64-it, Multilingual (IBM HTTP Server, Web Server Plug-ins, Migration Tool)
    >

    > Tell me please how to know what is incorrect?
    > Thank you

    There are logs somewhere, check responsefile.txt for their location.

    Ken

  4. Re: IBM HTTP Server silent installation problem

    You can try system debug by:
    +strace "./install -options "yourresponsefile.txt" -silent"+

  5. Re: IBM HTTP Server silent installation problem

    The thing that helps, is to add -x key to the head of install script: (+#!/bin/sh -x+)
    after executing you'll see smth like this:

    + PARSED_CMD_LINE=-options
    + for CMDLINE_ARG in '"$@"'
    + '[' responsefile.txt = -is:javaconsole ']'
    + '[' false = true ']'
    + '[' responsefile.txt = -is:log ']'
    + '[' false = true ']'
    + '[' responsefile.txt = -is:javahome ']'
    + '[' false = true ']'
    + '[' responsefile.txt = -is:tempdir ']'
    ++ echo responsefile.txt
    ++ cut -d = -f 1
    + PARAM_CHECK=responsefile.txt
    + '[' responsefile.txt = WEBSPHERE_JVM_PARAMS ']'
    + '[' -options = '' ']'
    + PARSED_CMD_LINE='-options responsefile.txt'
    + STARTINDEX=MS
    ++ echo MS
    ++ grep S
    + PARAM_CHECK=MS
    + PARAM_CHECK=0
    + '[' 0 -eq 0 ']'
    + JVM_PARAMS=' -Xms256m'
    ++ echo MS
    ++ grep M
    + PARAM_CHECK=MS
    + PARAM_CHECK=0
    + '[' 0 -eq 0 ']'
    + JVM_PARAMS=' -Xms256m -Xmx512m'
    + '[' -f /W/IHS/setup.jar ']'
    + '[' /usr '!=' '' ']'
    + JAVAHOME=/usr
    + FOUND=16
    + log
    + FILE_CONTENT=
    + cont=true
    + '[' '' '!=' '' ']'
    + '[' -r /etc/redhat-release ']'
    ++ cat /etc/redhat-release
    ++ awk '{print $7}'
    + release=5.3
    + version=5
    + '[' 5 -ge 5 ']'
    + '[' -x /usr/sbin/selinuxenabled ']'
    + /usr/sbin/selinuxenabled
    + cd /W/IHS
    + umask 022
    + '[' false = false ']'
    + '[' -f /W/IHS/mediaSpanInfo.xml ']'
    + /usr/bin/java -cp /W/IHS/setup.jar -Xms256m -Xmx512m run -options responsefile.txt
    + RC=104
    + cd /W
    + exit 104

    So if you'll copy and exec last command by itself (/usr/bin/java -cp /W/IHS/setup.jar -Xms256m -Xmx512m run -options responsefile.txt)
    you can see errors.

  6. Re: IBM HTTP Server silent installation problem

    IBM WebSphere Application Server Version 7.0 Install Guide, pages 149-150:

    If your installation fails and there is no information in the installation logs, use the -log parameter to record entries for events that cause the installer program to fail to start the installation wizard. The syntax of the install command for logging such events is:

    *install -options fully_qualified_options_response_file_name -silent -log # !fully_qualified_log_file_name @ALL*

+ Reply to Thread