WAS6.1 node federation problem - Websphere

This is a discussion on WAS6.1 node federation problem - Websphere ; Hi all I am using WAS ND 6.1.0.17 on linux (Redhat). I have 2 servers (WASDEV01 & WASDEV02), both installed with WAS61 ND and both servers are running the Deployment Manager, a Node and 3 server instances. I now want ...

  1. WAS6.1 node federation problem

    Hi all
    I am using WAS ND 6.1.0.17 on linux (Redhat). I have 2 servers (WASDEV01 & WASDEV02), both installed with WAS61 ND and both servers are running the Deployment Manager, a Node and 3 server instances. I now want to have both Nodes federated to a single DM (on WASDEV01) for easier management and code deployment.

    I have tried using the addNode command but so far with no success.

    First attempt was to login to WASDEV02 and run the addNode (./addNode WASDEV01 8879) and this failed with ADMU0033E - the node has already been added to the cell. I even re-installed websphere on WASDEV02 and changed the node name and still got the same error.

    So then I tried going the other way by logging onto WASDEV01 and ./addNode WASDEV02 8879 and got the same error....?

    I am new to this federating of Nodes, but comfortable with WAS ND. If there are any good articles on federating examples, please let me know. Of course if I am making some obvious mistake, then please let me know.

    TIA

  2. Re: WAS6.1 node federation problem

    On Aug 31, 12:20*am, bluey01 wrote:
    > Hi all
    > I am using WAS ND 6.1.0.17 on linux (Redhat). I have 2 servers (WASDEV01 & WASDEV02), both installed with WAS61 ND and both servers are running the Deployment Manager, a Node and 3 server instances. I now want to have both Nodes federated to a single DM (on WASDEV01) for easier management and codedeployment.
    >
    > I have tried using the addNode command but so far with no success.
    >
    > First attempt was to login to WASDEV02 and run the addNode (./addNode WASDEV01 8879) and this failed with ADMU0033E - the node has already been added to the cell. I even re-installed websphere on WASDEV02 and changed the node name and still got the same error.
    >
    > So then I tried going the other way by logging onto WASDEV01 and ./addNode WASDEV02 8879 and got the same error....?
    >
    > I am new to this federating of Nodes, but comfortable with WAS ND. If there are any good articles on federating examples, please let me know. Of course if I am making some obvious mistake, then please let me know.
    >
    > TIA

    Since you want both installations to be managed by one DM. Have you
    tried installing just the base application server on the second server
    and adding the stand alone node to the DM?

  3. Re: WAS6.1 node federation problem

    If I'm understanding your config correctly, your trying to add node WASDEV02 to WASDEV01 ?

    However, you listed WASDEV02 as a Deployment Manager, is this correct ?

  4. Re: WAS6.1 node federation problem

    What I have is 2 servers WASDEV01 and WASDEV02 and both have had the full Websphere ND installed. These were setup for some initial development and to stabilise our environments as we moved from WAS51 to WAS61.

    So there are 2 Deployment managers - one on each server. So there are also 2 nodes, NodeDev01 (on WasDEv01) and NodeDev02 (on WasDev02). What I want to do is move the Node02 from WASDEV02 to WASDEV01.

    This will allow me to manage all the servers running on both Node1 and Node2 from the one Deployment manager.

    So I want to know how to move a Node from one Deployment Manager to another Deployment Manager.

  5. Re: WAS6.1 node federation problem

    On Aug 31, 10:20*am, bluey01 wrote:
    > Hi all
    > I am using WAS ND 6.1.0.17 on linux (Redhat). I have 2 servers (WASDEV01 & WASDEV02), both installed with WAS61 ND and both servers are running the Deployment Manager, a Node and 3 server instances. I now want to have both Nodes federated to a single DM (on WASDEV01) for easier management and codedeployment.
    >
    > I have tried using the addNode command but so far with no success.
    >
    > First attempt was to login to WASDEV02 and run the addNode (./addNode WASDEV01 8879) and this failed with ADMU0033E - the node has already been added to the cell. I even re-installed websphere on WASDEV02 and changed the node name and still got the same error.
    >
    > So then I tried going the other way by logging onto WASDEV01 and ./addNode WASDEV02 8879 and got the same error....?
    >
    > I am new to this federating of Nodes, but comfortable with WAS ND. If there are any good articles on federating examples, please let me know. Of course if I am making some obvious mistake, then please let me know.
    >
    > TIA

    Thats simple ..as you have installed ND on both servers ..now ..
    on the second server ..
    you need to run removeNode ...to remove the Node from the cell on
    Server2 (Created while Installing ND on server2)
    then add the Node to Dmgr on server1 using
    ../addNode.sh
    default port is 8879

    Take WebSphere online tests at
    http://www.wascertify.getbegin.com
    Learn and test your knowledge.

  6. Re: WAS6.1 node federation problem

    Sorry, I mis-understood.

    Try running the removenode command to make sure the node is removed from the dmgr before you try and add it the new dmgr.

    Not sure of the syntax since I'm used to Windows.

    The remove and add node commands should be run from the node with the dmgr up and active.

  7. Re: WAS6.1 node federation problem

    That is ok. It cannot be related to removenode or cleanNode as it was a new install of Websphere on WASDEV02 - so the node could not exist.

    Has anyone tried moving a node frmo one deployment manager to another...? I would really appreciate some input on this. I have used the trace option, but that is not giving me anything to work on.

    TIA

  8. Re: WAS6.1 node federation problem

    OK as an update - I created a stand-alone Appln server (AppSrv02) on WASDEV02 (with the Profile Tool) and ran the addNode to add this Node to WASDEV01. This worked successfully!

    So I know the environment is all good.

    So what do I have to do to move the node AppSrv01 from WASDEV02 to WASDEV01. Note that AppSrv01 was created when Websphere was created with the option of creating a Cell with a federated application server. So I am guessing that I have to unfederate it - can this be done or am I missing the obvious here?

  9. Re: WAS6.1 node federation problem

    I do not think that you can unfederate the node that was created as a
    part of the cell with federated application server profile.

    See the InfoCenter:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...emovenode.html

    Regards,
    David Brauneis
    Rational Automation Framework for WebSphere Chief Architect
    IBM Rational Software Architecture and Development

    bluey01 wrote:
    > OK as an update - I created a stand-alone Appln server (AppSrv02) on WASDEV02 (with the Profile Tool) and ran the addNode to add this Node to WASDEV01. This worked successfully!
    >
    > So I know the environment is all good.
    >
    > So what do I have to do to move the node AppSrv01 from WASDEV02 to WASDEV01. Note that AppSrv01 was created when Websphere was created with the option of creating a Cell with a federated application server. So I am guessing that I have to unfederate it - can this be done or am I missing the obvious here?

  10. Re: WAS6.1 node federation problem

    It would appear that you cannot unfederate the nodes from the cell in my case.

    So how do people move a Node with multiple Servers and Applications from one Deployment Manager (DM) to another?

    From what I can see from the IBM docos is to create a stand alone Appln Server (that has server1) and you can move this Node to another DM and take the Apps on server1. But if you add another server (eg server2) while attached to the DM, I cannot see how you would move this Node (now with server1 and server2) to another DM. Once you removeNode from the original DM, the Node reverts to its original state (ie without server2).

  11. Re: WAS6.1 node federation problem

    In my experience, once you federate a node to a DMGR, you leave it there. Any time we've moved a node, it has been on an application upgrade boundry where we could safely remove the app and related JVMs, then recreate the JVMs and reinstall the app after federating into the desired cell.

    As you've seen, using removeNode.sh also removes all JVMs and applications defined on the node which is not normally desirable. Unfortunately, it seems to be the designed behavior.

  12. Re: WAS6.1 node federation problem

    Thanks for that reply - it bears out what I have done in some testing and makes more sense.

    I was under the initial impression that you could federate a node (and applications) to one Deployment Manager and then move it to another at some point. But as you say - its not designed for this.

+ Reply to Thread