Stale Connection Exception - Websphere

This is a discussion on Stale Connection Exception - Websphere ; Our Client is experiencing Stale Connections. Our Connection Pool App Server Settings are as follows. Connection timeout=180 Minimum Connection Pool Settings: 10 Maximum Connection :50 Aged Time 0. Let me know what are your recommendations....

  1. Stale Connection Exception

    Our Client is experiencing Stale Connections.

    Our Connection Pool App Server Settings are as follows.

    Connection timeout=180
    Minimum Connection Pool Settings: 10
    Maximum Connection :50
    Aged Time 0.

    Let me know what are your recommendations.

  2. Re: Stale Connection Exception

    portal question wrote:
    > Our Client is experiencing Stale Connections.
    >
    > Our Connection Pool App Server Settings are as follows.
    >
    > Connection timeout=180
    > Minimum Connection Pool Settings: 10
    > Maximum Connection :50
    > Aged Time 0.
    >

    > Let me know what are your recommendations.

    Code a retry. Not an infinite loop of retries, but a couple. When WAS
    gets the StaleConnection, it will clean out the pool and get new
    physical connections. But it returns the connection to the calling
    application in case the app wants to do something different.

    Ken

  3. Re: Stale Connection Exception

    Can you try by making Minimum size of connection pool as Zero.
    Because in some scenarios Stale Connection exception comes because of unused connection object in the pool, which is available when your application is in active. So if you make Minimum connection pool size as zero, means there wont be any un-used connection objects. So for every restart or for any new request, app Server try to create new Connection Object.

    If possible can you give complete scenario when you are getting this exception.

    Best of luck.

    -Nag

  4. Re: Stale Connection Exception

    We are experiencing this behavior at night times. One more thing, if there are 20 active connections, what will happen to those connections that finished the request serving. Will it go to the connection pool so that it can be reused by other waiting thread or will it get destroy
    when we put min connections as zero.

  5. Re: Stale Connection Exception

    Hi,

    I too faced teh same problem for our application. I made minconnections to zero,then it worked fine. No problems reported after that.

  6. Re: Stale Connection Exception

    Hello,
    I cannot answer your questions but I have found technote *TroubleShooting: Connection Pooling (J2C) problems for V5.0, V5.1, and V6.0 (section Troubleshooting stale connection problems)* at http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.w...id=swg21247168 to be helpful.

    Like...

    - Purge Policy: EntirePool
    - Minimum Connections: 0
    - Set the Unused Timeout to half the value of the timeout setting on the firewall

    Thank you,
    David Yang
    WebSphere Portal support

    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.

  7. Re: Stale Connection Exception

    My Concern was what is the use of Connection pool if we set it to Zero. The reason we are using minimum connections to 1 or 10 is to
    make use of Connection from connection pool before hand either then creating a connection when needed is a expensive.
    The prefetch connection will also solve the problem but this is a dummy or minimum sql overhead that gets executed each time for sanity check
    which is less over head when compared to Minimum connection settings to Zero where it creates a new connection when requested for.
    Let me know

  8. Re: Stale Connection Exception

    On Aug 3, 12:44*pm, portal question wrote:
    > My Concern was what is the use of Connection pool if we set it to Zero. The reason we are using minimum connections to 1 or 10 is to
    > make use of Connection from connection pool before hand either then creating a connection when needed is a expensive.
    > The prefetch connection will also solve the problem but this is a dummy or minimum sql overhead that gets executed each time for sanity check
    > which is less over head when compared to *Minimum connection settings to Zero where it creates a new connection when requested for.
    > Let me know

    Set it to zero. Closed connections are returned to the pool and
    eventually are closed at the db and removed from the pool due to
    inactivity. If you have so little activity the connection pool is
    emptied out then making the first new connection when things liven up
    later is no be problem. If you leave ANY connections unused in the
    pool they will be unilaterally disconnected by the db and you'll have
    to deal with the stale connection exceptions, a lot more hassle than
    just letting the pool manager open a new one. Do you have any data on
    concurrent sessions vs connection pool size?

+ Reply to Thread