J2EE application can't be installed on WAS 6.1 - Websphere

This is a discussion on J2EE application can't be installed on WAS 6.1 - Websphere ; Hi, We have built an EAR file using ant script with J2EE version 1.4. We had problem of installing the build. Initially, when it can't be installed, we were able to get around by bouncing the WAS server. Then the ...

  1. J2EE application can't be installed on WAS 6.1

    Hi,

    We have built an EAR file using ant script with J2EE version 1.4. We had problem of installing the build. Initially, when it can't be installed, we were able to get around by bouncing the WAS server. Then the same build can be installed and running fine. Since yesterday, that trick didn't work any more. We can't install the build any more. See the errors listed below. Does anyone know what is causing this problem? Thanks very much.

    Fang

    SystemOut.log shows the following error:

    +++ Warning +++: Thu Jul 23 13:42:03 CDT 2009 org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: schema_reference.4: Failed to read schema document 'bundleresource://15/application_1_4.xsd', because 1) could not fi
    nd the document; 2) the document could not be read; 3) the root element of the document is not .
    at org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createS AXParseException(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.warning (Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportErro r(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportErro r(Unknown Source)

    SystemErr.log shows the following error:

    [7/23/09 13:42:04:100 CDT] 0000002a SystemErr R org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.commonarchivecore.internal.ex ception.ResourceLoadException: IWAE0007E Could not load resource "META-INF/application.xml" in
    archive "/usr/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/AppSrv01/wstemp/0/upload/FNAIVRCallFlow_FVT-090723-105954.ear"
    Stack trace of nested exception:
    Wrapped exception
    org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: cvc-elt.1: Cannot find the declaration of element 'application'.
    at org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createS AXParseException(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.error(U nknown Source)
    at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportErro r(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportErro r(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.xerces.impl.xs.XMLSchemaValidator.handl eStartElement(Unknown Source)

    Here is our application.xml:

    testEAR

    test.war
    test

  2. Re: J2EE application can't be installed on WAS 6.1

    It is sometimes not bad to read the specification first.

    Look on the page 194 in http://java.sun.com/j2ee/j2ee-1_4-fr-spec.pdf
    It will tell you the following (especially the part stating "must include") :

    !--
    This is the XML DTD for the J2EE 1.3 application deployment
    descriptor. All J2EE 1.3 application deployment descriptors must
    include a DOCTYPE of the following form:

    Cheers

  3. Re: J2EE application can't be installed on WAS 6.1

    Hi, Katran,

    Thanks for the reference and suggestion though I am not sure I quite understand it. Did you suggest that we should add DOCTYPE? Our app is at 1.4 level which uses schema xsd. The spec says for 1.2 and 1.3 we should add DOCTYPE to indicate to the server that the app is at the right level since the server is required to support the earlier versions. What puzzled us is that the build did work sometimes. As matter of fact, we just installed on a local 6.1 server test env of Rational Application Developer, it is working. We just don't know how long it will work. If next build we will not be able to install. Any thoughts? Thanks.

    Fang

  4. Re: J2EE application can't be installed on WAS 6.1

    Hi,

    sorry, I cought the wrong reference in the previous post. That was about J2EE-1.3, ignore it.

    It looks like your WAS-Installation is corrupt somehow. The XSD-Files kept within WAS are
    either not readable or missing.
    Please check the file "./properties/schemas/j2ee/application_1_4.xsd" (its size on my PC is 10068 bytes)

    The messages you wrote mean essentially follows:

    Failed to read schema document 'application_1_4.xsd', because 1) could not find the document; 2) the document could not be read; 3) the root element of the document is not

    and therefore the deployemnt descriptor could not be parsed.

  5. Re: J2EE application can't be installed on WAS 6.1

    Hi,

    I checked the directory "./properties/schemas/". There are about 12 xsd files there (same as the WAS 6.1 test env I have on my laptop). There is no j2ee dir. I went ahead to create the dir and put the xsd as downloaded from sun web site there. Still getting the same problem.

    The error message is complaining about "Failed to read schema document 'bundleresource://15/application_1_4.xsd'". Do you know what this bundleresource is? Looks like it is different than the one under properties dir. Thanks.

    Fang

  6. Re: J2EE application can't be installed on WAS 6.1

    fangwang@us.ibm.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have built an EAR file using ant script with J2EE version 1.4. We had problem of installing the build. Initially, when it can't be installed, we were able to get around by bouncing the WAS server. Then the same build can be installed and running fine. Since yesterday, that trick didn't work any more. We can't install the build any more. See the errors listed below. Does anyone know what is causing this problem? Thanks very much.
    >
    > Fang
    >
    > SystemOut.log shows the following error:
    >
    > +++ Warning +++: Thu Jul 23 13:42:03 CDT 2009 org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: schema_reference.4: Failed to read schema document 'bundleresource://15/application_1_4.xsd', because 1) could not fi
    > nd the document; 2) the document could not be read; 3) the root element of the document is not .
    > at org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createS AXParseException(Unknown Source)
    > at org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.warning (Unknown Source)
    > at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportErro r(Unknown Source)
    > at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportErro r(Unknown Source)
    >
    > SystemErr.log shows the following error:
    >
    > [7/23/09 13:42:04:100 CDT] 0000002a SystemErr R org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.commonarchivecore.internal.ex ception.ResourceLoadException: IWAE0007E Could not load resource "META-INF/application.xml" in
    > archive "/usr/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/AppSrv01/wstemp/0/upload/FNAIVRCallFlow_FVT-090723-105954.ear"
    > Stack trace of nested exception:
    > Wrapped exception
    > org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: cvc-elt.1: Cannot find the declaration of element 'application'.
    > at org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createS AXParseException(Unknown Source)
    > at org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.error(U nknown Source)
    > at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportErro r(Unknown Source)
    > at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportErro r(Unknown Source)
    > at org.apache.xerces.impl.xs.XMLSchemaValidator.handl eStartElement(Unknown Source)
    >

    > Here is our application.xml:
    >

    > testEAR
    >

    > test.war
    > test

    FYI, application_1_4.xsd is not anywhere in my WAS installations; it's most
    likely inside a jar file, not expanded on the filesystem.

    Also, for comparison, here's my slightly different schema reference, which I'm
    using on 6.1:

    http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/application_1_4.xsd">

    What fixpack of 6.1 are you on?

    --