Starting to think if portal is being used wrongly for developingweb apps - Websphere

This is a discussion on Starting to think if portal is being used wrongly for developingweb apps - Websphere ; Well, most of us know portlet is usually an independent and self-contained piece of functionality. But once you start developing a proper application things grow and we start adding dependencies ( to other portlets and pages ). Just to give ...

  1. Starting to think if portal is being used wrongly for developingweb apps

    Well, most of us know portlet is usually an independent and self-contained piece of functionality. But once you start developing a proper application things grow and we start adding dependencies ( to other portlets and pages ).

    Just to give an example I have a List page (with a list portlet) and a Detail page (with a detail portlet). Once the user clicks on an item in the list portlet, the user is taken the detail portlet in detail page and shown the relevant details.

    There is no problem as such with the above approach except that fact that when ther user directly goes to the Detail page, we have to a show a message "please go to list page and first select an item". Ideally the Detail page and Detail portlet should'nt even be shown or be accessible to the user until the user selects an item to view. As our application evolved, such dummy pages/portlets evolved where they make sense only if the user had performed an action else where.

    How do people usually solve the above problem? [ I know a little bit about DynamicUI API, but it seems to be very buggy ].

  2. Re: Starting to think if portal is being used wrongly fordeveloping web apps

    you could use a pzn rule and only make the page visible if the application object returns true