Creating a new theme with RAD 7.5 - What am I doing wrong? - Websphere

This is a discussion on Creating a new theme with RAD 7.5 - What am I doing wrong? - Websphere ; Hi, I would be so grateful for any help with this. I am trying to create a new Portal theme in RAD 7.5, so I select "New Theme" and follow the wizard instructions. The result by default is a project ...

  1. Creating a new theme with RAD 7.5 - What am I doing wrong?

    Hi,

    I would be so grateful for any help with this. I am trying to create a new Portal theme in RAD 7.5, so I select "New Theme" and follow the wizard instructions. The result by default is a project "MyPortal" which contains a deployment descriptor, a Services folder, Portal Configuration folder, Skins folder, Themes folder and ibm-portal-topology.xml file.

    The new Theme "TestTheme" that I created appears in the Themes folder along with the other default themes: Portal and PortalWeb2.

    Expanding the PortalContent folder I can see the actual .jsp and .jspf files for the three themes. For a simple test I went in and modified one of the .jspf pages and switched out the banner.jsp file for my own.

    Next, I tried to right click my theme and export it as a WAR, but it looks like RAD has forced me to export the entire MyPortal project.

    Lastly, I went into the Portal Admin | Portlet Management | Web Modules portlet and attempted to upload the exported WAR. I got the following error:

    "Could not process the selected file from the browse button as a WAR file. Make sure it is a WAR file and try again"

    "Error while analyzing Web Module in directory C:WebSpherewp_profilePortalServerdeployed emp empfile.war()."

    Any help with this would be much appreciated (I am using Portal 6.1)

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Creating a new theme with RAD 7.5 - What am I doing wrong?

    well the portal project tends to like to create a full wps.ear,

    I do not like this approach and you would be better off creating a theme in the following way
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...65%6d%65%22%20

    you cannot install a theme war via the portal gui. You will have to install the war via the was gui

  3. Re: Creating a new theme with RAD 7.5 - What am I doing wrong?

    Thanks Jim. I am attempting to follow those instructions, however, I am a little bit confused at what the final folder structure looks like.

    So far I have the following:

    MyThemeName
    -META-INF
    -themes
    dojo
    html
    MyThemeName
    psw
    -WEB-INF

    MyThemeName is the root and WEB-INF and META-INF sit inside.

    One other question. In 5.1 and 6.0 I used to create a new theme by creating a copy of one of the original themes, making modifications within the copy and uploading it via the "Portal Administration | Themes and Skins | Add new theme" tool. Is this approach still doable in 6.1?

    Thanks,

    Chris

  4. Re: Creating a new theme with RAD 7.5 - What am I doing wrong?

    well in those verisons you were just copying the folder where it existed in the wps.ear correct? so when you said add new theme it was already there. But in 6.1 the supported way to develop themes is as a separate war, it will make an easier to maintain website. it is still there but not recommended

    now for your structure it should be like this
    Basedirectory
    -META-INF
    -themes
    --dojo
    --html
    ---MyThemeName
    ---psw
    -WEB-INF

    Just to be clear on the level all of these items are at.

  5. Re: Creating a new theme with RAD 7.5 - What am I doing wrong?

    Thanks Jim. Just to clarify, is Basedirectory the MyThemeName folder or is it something else? If the former, it looks like I am putting MyThemeName inside the html folder of MyThemeName!

  6. Re: Creating a new theme with RAD 7.5 - What am I doing wrong?

    it can be anything, it is just somewhere to hold your stuff for when you run the war command

    So that you have three directories in there and so on down the chain

  7. Re: Creating a new theme with RAD 7.5 - What am I doing wrong?

    Alight...getting close. Packaged as a WAR and attempted to deploy - to the following servers (selected during deployment process):

    Websphere:cell=WINXP,node=WINXP,server=server1
    Websphere:cell=WINXP,node=WINXP,server=Websphere_P ortal

    The deployment seemed to go ok, however, when I try to start the application in Applications | Enterprise Applications I get the following error message:

    "The application cannot be started on server WebSphere_Portal. Applications can be started on application servers only. If
    WebSphere_Portal is an application server, verify that this server has been started."

    Jim, any idea what is going on? If I click on Enterprise Application after that for server1, the application has been started. However, if I click on Installed Applications for WebSphere_Portal the status is 'unknown' and it does not appear to have been started (which makes sense considering the error message).

    To confirm, I have tried restarting the Portal server.

    Thanks,

    Chris

  8. Re: Creating a new theme with RAD 7.5 - What am I doing wrong?

    The reason being is that you are on the was admin console for server 1, so it cannot start apps on server WebSphere Portal. if you go to the was admin console installed on the WebSphere Portal server you can start it there.

    In a default install it will be at
    https://hostname:10041/ibm/console/logon.jsp

  9. Re: Creating a new theme with RAD 7.5 - What am I doing wrong?

    Well Jim, that did the trick I didn't realize there was a separate console for server1 and websphere_portal. General question. Does the theme app need to be started within both server1 & websphere_portal? Also, now that it is started, how do I set it as my theme in Portal?

    Thanks v. much for your help with this. I hope it provides a bit of useful feedback for anybody else creating a new theme.

  10. Re: Creating a new theme with RAD 7.5 - What am I doing wrong?

    Jim, thanks so much for your help. Got it working

+ Reply to Thread