theme install as a war file - Websphere

This is a discussion on theme install as a war file - Websphere ; What difference it makes if I install theme as a war file or using the traditional way (Portal Admin screen and copying the file manually to themes folder). Does it add any value for faster browsing? Thanks Pranav...

  1. theme install as a war file

    What difference it makes if I install theme as a war file or using the traditional way (Portal Admin screen and copying the file manually to themes folder).

    Does it add any value for faster browsing?

    Thanks

    Pranav

  2. Re: theme install as a war file

    I could be mistaken, but I believe the point of installing a theme as a war file is for when you want to customize the theme. If you don't intend to customize the theme, then my guess is copying the theme would be fine. If you copy a theme and attempt to edit it within the directory, the integrity of the files could be jeopardized- this is why editing of the files should be done offline, then be repackaged as a war file and deployed as either a new application, or as an update to an existing application to the admin console.

  3. Re: theme install as a war file

    Having theme files in their own .war file isn't to improve performance
    and probably isn't a big deal for development environments.

    However, it keeps things cleaner in production environments because your
    custom theme code is kept separate from the Portal enterprise
    application files... AND (although I haven't done this myself) you
    should be able to install new theme code and spray it across clustered
    servers without having to restart the Portal enterprise application.
    (Because you don't have to update the portal .EAR file in the deployment
    manager.)

  4. Re: theme install as a war file

    Thanks but I have a doubt .

    If you see a normal theme, It can be customized but hat is not installed as a war file.

    Thanks

    Pranav

  5. Re: theme install as a war file

    On Jul 7, 9:49*pm, Michael Harris wrote:
    > Having theme files in their own .war file isn't to improve performance
    > and probably isn't a big deal for development environments.
    >
    > However, it keeps things cleaner in production environments because your
    > custom theme code is kept separate from the Portal enterprise
    > application files... AND (although I haven't done this myself) you
    > should be able to install new theme code and spray it across clustered
    > servers without having to restart the Portal enterprise application.
    > (Because you don't have to update the portal .EAR file in the deployment
    > manager.)

    Thanks

  6. Re: theme install as a war file

    On Jul 6, 3:35 pm, pk wrote:
    > What difference it makes if I install theme as a war file or using the traditional way (Portal Admin screen and copying the file manually to themes folder).
    >
    > Does it add any value for faster browsing?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Pranav

    The advantage i see is in the deployment process, where in u dont have
    to update the whole wps.ear in a cluster.

+ Reply to Thread