Re: how to look up custom portlet service in custom theme ? - Websphere

This is a discussion on Re: how to look up custom portlet service in custom theme ? - Websphere ; just edited the subject of thread to how to look up custom portlet service in custom theme ?...

  1. Re: how to look up custom portlet service in custom theme ?

    just edited the subject of thread to
    how to look up custom portlet service in custom theme ?

  2. Re: how to look up custom portlet service in custom theme ?

    a portlet service is just a jndi call so just do the jndi call as normal.

    NOW technically this is not supported and can cause inconsistencies depending on how you use it.

  3. Re: how to look up custom portlet service in custom theme ?

    Is your theme packaged as a war? where are the files for your portletservice located?

  4. Re: how to look up custom portlet service in custom theme ?

    My theme is located under
    wp_profile\installedApps\idr92\wps.ear\wps.war\the mes\html\MyTheme

    My portlet service jar is located under
    \shared\app\MyPortletService.jar

    also i have made an entry for my portlet service by creating custom properties under *WP PortletServiceRegistryService*

    Portlet service works fine from within any of my deployed portlet apps.

    many thanks...
    **
    *http://ExtremePortal.blogspot.com*

  5. Re: how to look up custom portlet service in custom theme ?

    can any one help me on this ?

  6. Re: how to look up custom portlet service in custom theme ?

    any update on this please ?

  7. Re: how to look up custom portlet service in custom theme ?

    I would need to see your full logs and your theme

  8. Re: how to look up custom portlet service in custom theme ?

    sure...

    Here is the error message i got on page itself, when i hit the page which has JDTheme(custom theme) applied.

    *Error Message*:JSPG0049E: /themes/html/JDTheme/Default.jsp failed to compile : JSPG0225E: An error occurred at line: 139 in the statically included file: /themes/html/JDTheme/jspInit.jspfJSPG0093E: Generated servlet error from file: /themes/html/JDTheme/Default.jsp D:\IBM Portal\Portal server\wp_profile\temp\idr92\WebSphere_Portal\wps\ wps.war\themes\html\JDTheme\_Default.java : 227 Unhandled exception type PortletServiceUnavailableException

    *Root Cause*:com.ibm.ws.jsp.JspCoreException: JSPG0049E: /themes/html/JDTheme/Default.jsp failed to compile : JSPG0225E: An error occurred at line: 139 in the statically included file: /themes/html/JDTheme/jspInit.jspfJSPG0093E: Generated servlet error from file: /themes/html/JDTheme/Default.jsp D:\IBM Portal\Portal server\wp_profile\temp\idr92\WebSphere_Portal\wps\ wps.war\themes\html\JDTheme\_Default.java : 227 : Unhandled exception type PortletServiceUnavailableException at com.ibm.ws.jsp.webcontainerext.AbstractJSPExtensio nServletWrapper.translateJsp(AbstractJSPExtensionS ervletWrapper.java:409) at com.ibm.ws.jsp.webcontainerext.AbstractJSPExtensio nServletWrapper._checkForTranslation(AbstractJSPEx tensionServletWrapper.java:374) at com.ibm.ws.jsp.webcontainerext.AbstractJSPExtensio nServletWrapper.checkForTranslation(AbstractJSPExt ensionServletWrapper.java:283) at com.ibm.ws.jsp.webcontainerext.AbstractJSPExtensio nServletWrapper.handleRequest(AbstractJSPExtension ServletWrapper.java:138) at com.ibm.ws.jsp.webcontainerext.AbstractJSPExtensio nProcessor.handleRequest(AbstractJSPExtensionProce ssor.java:278) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppRequestDispat cher.include(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java:639) at com.ibm.wps.services.dispatcher.DispatcherServiceI mpl.handleRequest(DispatcherServiceImpl.java:93) at com.ibm.wps.services.dispatcher.DispatcherServiceI mpl.include(DispatcherServiceImpl.java:53) at com.ibm.wps.services.dispatcher.Dispatcher.include (Dispatcher.java:50) at com.ibm.wps.engine.templates.themes.Default.doDisp atch(Default.java:283) at com.ibm.wps.engine.templates.themes.Default.render (Default.java:236) at com.ibm.wps.engine.templates.ThemeTemplate.render( ThemeTemplate.java:65) at com.ibm.wps.engine.phases.WPRenderPhase.processRen dering(WPRenderPhase.java:394) at com.ibm.wps.engine.phases.WPBaseRenderPhase.execut e(WPBaseRenderPhase.java:173) at com.ibm.wps.state.phases.AbstractRenderPhase.next( AbstractRenderPhase.java:106) at com.ibm.wps.engine.phases.WPAbstractRenderPhase.ne xt(WPAbstractRenderPhase.java:97) at com.ibm.wps.engine.Servlet.callPortal(Servlet.java :805) at com.ibm.wps.engine.Servlet.doGet(Servlet.java:607) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:743) at com.ibm.wps.engine.Servlet.doFilter(Servlet.java:1 184) at com.ibm.wps.resolver.servlet.ContentHandlerCleanup .doFilter(ContentHandlerCleanup.java:648) at com.ibm.wps.resolver.servlet.AbstractFilter.doFilt er(AbstractFilter.java:82) at com.ibm.wps.engine.Servlet.service(Servlet.java:11 75) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.ser vice(ServletWrapper.java:1068) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.ser vice(ServletWrapper.java:1009) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterChain.d oFilter(WebAppFilterChain.java:145) at com.ibm.wps.engine.ExtendedLocaleFilter.doFilter(E xtendedLocaleFilter.java:93) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.FilterInstanceWrapp er.doFilter(FilterInstanceWrapper.java:190) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterChain.d oFilter(WebAppFilterChain.java:130) at com.ibm.wps.state.filter.StateCleanup.doFilter(Sta teCleanup.java:89) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.FilterInstanceWrapp er.doFilter(FilterInstanceWrapper.java:190) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterChain.d oFilter(WebAppFilterChain.java:130) at com.ibm.wps.resolver.friendly.servlet.FriendlySele ctionFilter.doFilter(FriendlySelectionFilter.java: 189) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.FilterInstanceWrapp er.doFilter(FilterInstanceWrapper.java:190) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterChain.d oFilter(WebAppFilterChain.java:130) at com.ibm.wps.engine.VirtualPortalFilter.doFilter(Vi rtualPortalFilter.java:88) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.FilterInstanceWrapp er.doFilter(FilterInstanceWrapper.java:190) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterChain.d oFilter(WebAppFilterChain.java:130) at com.ibm.wps.mappingurl.impl.URLAnalyzer.doFilter(U RLAnalyzer.java:282) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.FilterInstanceWrapp er.doFilter(FilterInstanceWrapper.java:190) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterChain.d oFilter(ebAppFilterChain.java:130) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterChain._ doFilter(WebAppFilterChain.java:87) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterManager .doFilter(WebAppFilterManager.java:771) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterManager .doFilter(WebAppFilterManager.java:679) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.han dleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:539) at com.ibm.ws.wswebcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.h andleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:478) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp.handleReques t(WebApp.java:3365) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebGroup.handleRequ est(WebGroup.java:267) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.WebContainer.handleRequest (WebContainer.java:814) at com.ibm.ws.wswebcontainer.WebContainer.handleReque st(WebContainer.java:1455) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.channel.WCChannelLink.read y(WCChannelLink.java:115) at com.ibm.ws.http.channel.inbound.impl.HttpInboundLi nk.handleDiscrimination(HttpInboundLink.java:454) at com.ibm.ws.http.channel.inbound.impl.HttpInboundLi nk.handleNewInformation(HttpInboundLink.java:383) at com.ibm.ws.http.channel.inbound.impl.HttpICLReadCa llback.complete(HttpICLReadCallback.java:102) at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.AioReadCompletionListe ner.futureCompleted(AioReadCompletionListener.java :165) at com.ibm.io.async.AbstractAsyncFuture.invokeCallbac k(AbstractAsyncFuture.java:217) at com.ibm.io.async.AsyncChannelFuture.fireCompletion Actions(AsyncChannelFuture.java:161) at com.ibm.io.async.AsyncFuture.completed(AsyncFuture .java:136) at com.ibm.io.async.ResultHandler.complete(ResultHand ler.java:195) at com.ibm.io.async.ResultHandler.runEventProcessingL oop(ResultHandler.java:743) at com.ibm.io.async.ResultHandler$2.run(ResultHandler .java:873) at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.j ava:1473)

    many thanks..

  9. Re: how to look up custom portlet service in custom theme ?

    Hi Jim,

    in which file of theme, i should look up my portet service?
    currently i am doing lookup in jspInit.jspf, is that right file to lookup ?

    when i see the code of jspInit method of this file, it has already code to lookup for services, not sure those are portlet service or not.

    let me explain my flow in detail and the reason i need to lookup service in theme.
    actually, i retrieve id value in my login portlet through url and storing in HashMap ( userid as key and id as value to map) using my portlet service methods.

    till here all goes fine.

    Now i want this id value to be available in theme also.
    For this, i need to lookup my service in theme and there i can retrieve id value using service methods.
    Once i retrieve this id in theme and then based on id value i will display portal banner based on user logged in.

    please help on this on how to lookup custom portlet service in themes?

    many thanks..
    **
    *http://ExtremePortal.blogspot.com*

  10. Re: how to look up custom portlet service in custom theme ?

    those servers are portal services not portlet services.

    instead of using a portlet service just store these in dynacache and use the lookup for dynacache

  11. Re: how to look up custom portlet service in custom theme ?

    thanks for respnse Jim,

    any pointers on dynacache technote/study material will be great...

    also, i can lookup the dynacache in theme, right ?

    as i am using cutom portlet service for storing variable and look up that service in any of my portlet to get value of the variable, and it works fine
    is it not a good approach ? please suggest....it's important for me to understand whether it is a good approach to write custom portlet service or use dynacahe for such a usecase.

    thanks again...

  12. Re: how to look up custom portlet service in custom theme ?

    dyaacache is a was function and can be looked up anywhere.
    look at the bottom of this article
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/we...02_hepper.html

    Trying to retrieve a value in a theme that is stored from a portlet is not a good approach for portlet services, but is a great approach for dynacache

  13. Re: how to look up custom portlet service in custom theme ?

    that's great..thank you..

    means, i need to use dynache to retrieve the value from theme.

    and the custom portlet service that i have implemented to store from portlet and retrieve from portlet is fine. right ?

    many thanks...

  14. Re: how to look up custom portlet service in custom theme ?

    if that portlet service also stores it to dynacache yes,

    but I think it is overkill for what you are doing.

  15. Re: how to look up custom portlet service in custom theme ?

    no my custom portlet service is not storing to dynacache, it's storing to a hashmap declared in CustomPortletServiceImpl class.
    but yes as per your saying, i don't require to use custom portlet service and i can achieve the same by using dynacache, right?

    Regards...

  16. Re: how to look up custom portlet service in custom theme ?

    correct

  17. Re: how to look up custom portlet service in custom theme ?

    Hi Jim,

    thank you very much for all replies ...

    many thanks..
    **