Separation of presentation and application layers - Websphere

This is a discussion on Separation of presentation and application layers - Websphere ; I have been designing custom branded themes for WebSphere Portal since version 5. In working with version 6.1, after promises of Web 2.0 improvements, I finally have to speak up. When is there going to be serious consideration put into ...

  1. Separation of presentation and application layers

    I have been designing custom branded themes for WebSphere Portal since version 5. In working with version 6.1, after promises of Web 2.0 improvements, I finally have to speak up. When is there going to be serious consideration put into pursuing truly semantic code in Portal?

    The use of tables as a lay-out mechanism is no longer valid given the rise of newer browsers to the marketplace. In the default.jsp page there is a note stating the following:

    This leads me to believe that the individual who wrote that comment doesn't understand fully the issues of cross-browser compatibility. This comment is so incorrect it's not even funny. Internet Explorer has a problem with the "box model" for DIV's...not tables. This is a hugely documented flaw and can be addressed by resetting the default styles on all browsers with properly coded CSS. A seasoned team of designers who understand the complexities of portal could help.

    I guess what I'm asking is if there is any serious thought being put into this problem for the next version or any future version of WebSphere Portal?

  2. Re: Separation of presentation and application layers

    as the developers for themes and skins rarely if ever review this newsgroup, you would get more response by working with your sales team, to have this addressed as a line item for future releases