defining relationship between portlets on the same page ? - Websphere

This is a discussion on defining relationship between portlets on the same page ? - Websphere ; Hi, I have a scenario where i have 5 portlets ( of same portlet application) on the same page. All of these portlets have common configuration parameter in their personalize mode. Aim is to find a way to fill this ...

  1. defining relationship between portlets on the same page ?

    Hi,

    I have a scenario where i have 5 portlets ( of same portlet application) on the same page.
    All of these portlets have common configuration parameter in their personalize mode.
    Aim is to find a way to fill this configuration parameter one time and should be shared across all of 5 portlets for all users for single page.

    Example :-

    i have a page called Page A.
    On this page i have 5 portlets (Portlet A, B, C, D and E), and they have some common configuration parameter (listed below) in personalize mode,

    a) Show records per page ( in drop down with values 5,10,15,20 etc )
    b) select portlet color theme ( in drop down with values, Maroon,Aqua,blue etc)
    c) Show normal view or Grid view ( with check box)
    d) Enable caching ( with check box )
    e) Refresh portlet content ( with values in minutes )

    these are few example configuration parameters.

    I am thinking that, i can create another portlet called "Personalize Portlet" ( only admin will have access to this ).

    I will keep this portlet on same page along with all 5 portlets.
    This portlet will contain all these common configuration parameter in it's personalize mode.

    now what i am trying to think is, Admin will fill all these common configuration parameters in "Personalize Portlet" in personalize mode and then these
    setting should be shared across all the 5 portlets on the same page for all users,

    Idea to create Personalize portlet will save user's time to go to personalize mode of all 5 portlets for filling same common configuration information.

    I need suggestion on how to achieve this ?

    = Secondly, same way if i put all 5 portlets on PAGE B, i will also put this "Personalize Portlet" and if admin set configuration params to this portlet, it will be shared for all 5 portlets for PAGE B for all users who have access to page B.

    In this, i am not able to find a way to establish a relationship between
    Personalize Portlet, 5 Portlets and the Page.

    please suggest a solution....

    many thanks for reading it out...

  2. Re: defining relationship between portlets on the same page ?

    Neeraj,

    I am not sure about establishing a relationship between Personalize Portlet, 5 Portlets and the Page but I would certainly like to draw your attention towards the configuration mode provided in IBM assuming you are working on IBM Websphere Portal. Certainly it will create a vendor lock situation here.

    If you sent the one time parameters in configuration mode rather than personalized mode for these portlets then if you add these portlets to some other page in portal then also you will be able to see the same settings. So in that case you need not to add personalize portlet on that second page and provide the settings again.

    Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread