Web Applications Without Development Tools - Websphere

This is a discussion on Web Applications Without Development Tools - Websphere ; I am trying to develop a web application (WAR) for WebSphere 6.0. Evey tutorial I find here and from Google uses some sort of development tool to build a WAR file. I do not have these development tools at this ...

  1. Web Applications Without Development Tools

    I am trying to develop a web application (WAR) for WebSphere 6.0. Evey tutorial I find here and from Google uses some sort of development tool to build a WAR file. I do not have these development tools at this time. I have created many web applications for Tomcat but I can't seem to get WebSphere to accept them. I created a standard Hello World WAR file that contained a single JSP and a helper class that did some random number calculations. I compiled then into a WAR just like I have done many times before. I then dropped it into Tomcat, watched it expand and deploy. Simple enough. I then tried to install the war through WebSphere's admin console and got an error message telling me that my war was not a valid war.

    APIN0002E: Cannot process the selected WAR file.

    I checked my web.xml with the dtd and validated it. Everything seems okay but WebSphere insists that my WAR is invalid. What do I need to add to my application? Is the WAR directory structure somehow different? Can I view a working Hello World WAR that I can model my applications on?

  2. Re: Web Applications Without Development Tools

    Can you upload your WAR?
    This should really go to the WebSphere Application Server forum and not portals but we may be able to help.

    Ryan

    SCJP & SCWCD

  3. Re: Web Applications Without Development Tools

    I'm not so sure uploading my WAR will accomplish anything here. I have one jsp that displays a random number that was generated by a single class in a single jar. This is as bare-bones as I can get. I would rather somebody upload a hello world war that has been successfully deployed in WebSphere. I want to be able to import it into Eclipse, with no IBM development plugins, and continue development.

    WEB.xml

    {code}

    Test Application

    HelloWorld
    /jsp/HelloWorld.jsp

    HelloWorld
    /helloworld

    {code}

  4. Re: Web Applications Without Development Tools

    This could be a packaging issue thats why I thought uploading it would allow us to help you.

    Have you looked into using the following:
    http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/

    Ryan

    SCJP & SCWCD

  5. Re: Web Applications Without Development Tools

    If I remember correctly, WAS like to see some (probably 2 or so) ibm
    jars as part of the WAR. Sorry,
    I do not have the details, but likely, this is what you should be
    looking for.

    On Jan 28, 10:13*am, ming...@sheetz.com wrote:
    > I'm not so sure uploading my WAR will accomplish anything here. *I haveone jsp that displays a random number that was generated by a single classin a single jar. *This is as bare-bones as I can get. *I would rather somebody upload a hello world war that has been successfully deployed in WebSphere. *I want to be able to import it into Eclipse, with no IBM development plugins, and continue development.
    >
    > WEB.xml
    >
    > {code}
    >
    > * * * * *Test Application
    >
    > * * * * * * * * *HelloWorld
    > * * * * * * * * */jsp/HelloWorld.jsp
    >
    > * * * * * * * * *HelloWorld
    > * * * * * * * * */helloworld
    >
    > {code}

  6. Re: Web Applications Without Development Tools

    If I remember correctly, WAS likes to see some (probably 2 or so) ibm
    jars as part of the WAR. Sorry,
    I do not have the details, but likely, this is what you should be
    looking for.

    On Jan 28, 10:13*am, ming...@sheetz.com wrote:
    > I'm not so sure uploading my WAR will accomplish anything here. *I haveone jsp that displays a random number that was generated by a single classin a single jar. *This is as bare-bones as I can get. *I would rather somebody upload a hello world war that has been successfully deployed in WebSphere. *I want to be able to import it into Eclipse, with no IBM development plugins, and continue development.
    >
    > WEB.xml
    >
    > {code}
    >
    > * * * * *Test Application
    >
    > * * * * * * * * *HelloWorld