can I pack IHS tarball into my own software package? - Websphere

This is a discussion on can I pack IHS tarball into my own software package? - Websphere ; Hello, all: In our project xCAT, we decide to use IBM HTTP Server as the http server on AIX. In order to make things convenient for xCAT users, I want to pack the IHS tarball into xCAT-web-dep.tar.gz, and I also ...

  1. can I pack IHS tarball into my own software package?

    Hello, all:
    In our project xCAT, we decide to use IBM HTTP Server as the http server on AIX. In order to make things convenient for xCAT users, I want to pack the IHS tarball into xCAT-web-dep.tar.gz, and I also want to put the tarball xCAT-web-dep.tar.gz on the website xcat.sf.net.
    xCAT is the open-source cluster management toolkit developed by IBM.

    My Question is: from a legal point of view, can I do it?

    I read though "IBM HTTP Serve v6.0 user guide" roughly, I cannot find the necessary information for re-distribution of IHS. And I hope someone working for IHS can help me. Thank you very much!!

  2. Re: can I pack IHS tarball into my own software package?

    bitzilla@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello, all:
    > In our project xCAT, we decide to use IBM HTTP Server as the http server on AIX. In order to make things convenient for xCAT users, I want to pack the IHS tarball into xCAT-web-dep.tar.gz, and I also want to put the tarball xCAT-web-dep.tar.gz on the website xcat.sf.net.
    > xCAT is the open-source cluster management toolkit developed by IBM.
    >
    > My Question is: from a legal point of view, can I do it?
    >
    > I read though "IBM HTTP Serve v6.0 user guide" roughly, I cannot find the necessary information for re-distribution of IHS. And I hope someone working for IHS can help me. Thank you very much!!

    IANAL, but my guess is that you can copy it but you cannot redistribute
    it. Whatever you do, recipients have no standing with IHS or WebSphere
    support and the ramifications of distributing OSS code are yours.

    If this is something being distributed by IBM, you must get necessary
    approvals to bundle and distribute IHS. I would be able to help you at
    ecovener@ ...

    --
    Eric Covener

  3. Re: can I pack IHS tarball into my own software package?

    Can anyone working on IHS help me? Thank you.

  4. Re: can I pack IHS tarball into my own software package?

    bitzilla@gmail.com wrote:
    > Can anyone working on IHS help me? Thank you.

    Contact Eric as he already suggested

    --

    Juanma Martinez

  5. Re: can I pack IHS tarball into my own software package?

    Juanma Martinez wrote:
    > bitzilla@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Can anyone working on IHS help me? Thank you.

    > Contact Eric as he already suggested

    I wouldn't hold out for a better answer on this public newsgroup.

    --
    Eric Covener

  6. Re: can I pack IHS tarball into my own software package?

    OH, since no one answers me, we didn't ship IBM HTTP Server in our dep software package.

  7. Re: can I pack IHS tarball into my own software package?

    minjun.xi wrote:
    > OH, since no one answers me, we didn't ship IBM HTTP Server in our dep software package.

    There are multiple replies to this thread.

    --
    Eric Covener

  8. Re: can I pack IHS tarball into my own software package?

    This was answered several times on the actual newsgroup, but not reflected on developerworks.

    End users can't redistribute IHS. If you're developing a product and want to include IHS in that solution, developerworks is not the proper venue to request such a bundling.

+ Reply to Thread