Websphere - is it really this fragile and brittle? - Websphere

This is a discussion on Websphere - is it really this fragile and brittle? - Websphere ; Can anyone tell me one thing that Websphere does better than Apache Tomcat or even OAS? I'm all ears. It is my opinion right now that Websphere is extremely fragile and brittle and the simplest of tasks can take forever. ...

  1. Websphere - is it really this fragile and brittle?

    Can anyone tell me one thing that Websphere does better than Apache Tomcat or even OAS?

    I'm all ears.

    It is my opinion right now that Websphere is extremely fragile and brittle and the simplest of tasks can take forever. It has been the baine of my life since last month and I can't wait for my next project so that I can wipe my hands of it.

    I just had to get that off my chest.

  2. Re: Websphere - is it really this fragile and brittle?

    peteman29@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me one thing that Websphere does better than Apache Tomcat or even OAS?
    >
    > I'm all ears.
    >
    > It is my opinion right now that Websphere is extremely fragile and brittle and the simplest of tasks can take forever. It has been the baine of my life since last month and I can't wait for my next project so that I can wipe my hands of it.
    >
    > I just had to get that off my chest.

    Assuming you're talking about the appserver, Community Edition is built
    for easy setup and use, but the other editions are built for
    enterprise-level qualities of service, implementation of JEE and related
    technologies, and enterprise-level support. Brittle and fragile it isn't.

    There are tons of online resources for WebSphere, and even classes you
    can attend.

    I'm sorry you're having a frustrating time with the product, if you have
    some specific issues you're looking for help on, we can probably help,
    though you might get better focused help over in
    ibm.software.websphere.application-server instead of here.

    Ken

  3. Re: Websphere - is it really this fragile and brittle?

    > Can anyone tell me one thing that Websphere does better than Apache Tomcat
    > or even OAS?
    >
    > I'm all ears.
    >
    > It is my opinion right now that Websphere is extremely fragile and brittle
    > and the simplest of tasks can take forever. It has been the baine of my
    > life since last month and I can't wait for my next project so that I can
    > wipe my hands of it.
    >
    > I just had to get that off my chest.

    Which version and which edition of WebSphere are you working with ?

    What sort of issue are you experiencing that makes you find it "extremely
    fragile and brittle" ?

    How long is "forever" ?

    Sorry to ask questions instead of providing answers, but I don't find it
    difficult, fragile or slow.

    Probably one finds WebSphere difficult to start with if you have basic
    needs. Tomcat or Jetty will be more suitable probably. But if you add
    enterprise constraints like scalability, security, availability,
    manageability, distributed environments, etc maybe you'll find WebSphere has
    a place in the solution.

    Difficult to tell without knowing what you're looking for exactly.

  4. Re: Websphere - is it really this fragile and brittle?

    Yes, it really is this fragile and brittle, but I'm not sure what to blame - websphere, rad, or both.

+ Reply to Thread